Woodworking And Babies

Woodworking and Babies

Ten ways woodworking habits change when you have a baby!!

1. You spend all weekend tending to your baby girl while your tools slowly rust inside your shop unused…and yet surprisingly you do not consider it wasted time.

2. You gloss over magazines looking for projects to build such as Cradles, Toyboxes, and Doll Houses…knowing in the very near future you will be building those very projects!

3. You lovingly nickname your daughter “Dovetail”, as in “come here my favorite little Dovetail.”

4. Your little baby girl is the envy of the neighborhood because their first birdhouse had dovetail joints, mortise and tennon joints and exotic wood glued together with epoxy resin just to be sure it would last a hundred years.

5. You cannot walk through Toys-R-Us without thinking that you could build the same toys out of wood, and they would be ten times better. Of course with a new baby in the house, you know you will NEVER have TIME for those projects.

6. You take off your jacket outside the house, remove your shoes in the foyer and take a shower all before touching your baby girl because you would never even think of letting her get some nasty old sawdust in those tiny lungs of hers!

7. Instead of giving nasty old cigars at the birth of your daughter, you gave out wooden pens thinking they would be more practical, more politically correct and just like babies, wood and babies are the ultimate renewable resources.

8. You have spent 300 hours building a cradle for her, making sure every joint, every dovetail was perfect, just like her and this was all done BEFORE she was even born.

9. You and your wife have argued over how old she has to be before she is allowed to work with you in your shop. (4 months sounds about right to me). While arguing you two also predict that she will learn to cut her first dovetails before she can tie her own shoes.

10. Like wood, you realize she is absolutely beautiful, fragile, strong, has her own unique smell, can be frustrating and tenacious…but above all else, she is the best thing that happened to you since you put a saw blade to a piece of wood.

Alyson Rose Johnson, you are indeed loved.

Four_Generations_of_Johnsons.JPG

Hey Charlie I am really glad you told us that your little one is now...well...not so little. I was beginning to get worried there. After seeing your attire in the pictures I was going to send you a private messgae saying that fashion trends have changed. :rofl:

I'm teasing you of course, but the pictures did make me smile. You only left one thing out. After all those baby years in the shop, does he do any woodworking or carpentry now?

nice travis...........my son was in the shop at 2 days old, he`s still a frequent visitor but now that he`s mobile it`s a full time job keeping an eye on him;) ...at 16 months or so he was using a pull saw....hammers soon after learning to walk....you`ve got lots of fun to look forward to:) ........tod