Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Mini Lathe Rolling Stand

Jet Mini Lathe Rolling Stand

Well, Finally got around to it. Was tired of lugging the lathe out when I wanted to use it, and I never really hooked up the extension bed to it.

So I figured I'd make a stand for it. The rule in my little shop is everything but sawhorses gets mounted on wheels, so This has a set of locking casters under it.

Everything needs to do double duty too, so storage for the tools accessories needs to be built in.

I might move the chisel rack to the other side, but so far it doesn't really bother me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turningcart.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	24021
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

As a fellow mini lathe owner, I say ... very nice!

I think the chisels would bug me too much in the current position; you must have very long arms!

That's a slick setup, Brent. nicely organized to fit a lot of stuff in a small space.

My old lathe was mounted on a "A" frame type wooden stand with a shelf and and enclosed back. I stored a lot of stuff on the shelf below, and eventually used a piece of cardboard to cover the shelf to keep the chips off of it. It was anchored at the top, like a door hinged right below the lathe bed. I'd just lift it up when I needed to get something off the shelf, and it kept the chips out well.

If you find chips are a problem on the stuff below your lathe, you could do something similar with thin plywood or Masonite.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Brent,
    Good idea but I also would move the turning tools. This is my set up.
    (Click pic for full size)

The only thing I am going to do is put a piece of plastic that I can roll up to keep the chips & dust from all the stuff under my lathe.

I did end up moving the tools to the opposite side of the cart this morning.

It's hard to tell, but I do have a baffle directly under the lathe to direct any shavings that fall straight down, or to the back to accumulate on the back side of the lathe.

I've also got a little dust hood I use to try and collect most of the shavings or dust.

I like the idea of a plastic sheet on the front to keep shavings from accumulating. I think I'll add that to the cart as well.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

About the lathe height. I read that the spindle of the lathe should be at the same level as your elbow, so that's the height I set it up for.

You might consider a shower curtain for the plastic sheet idea. I have several old ones (with worn out holes) that I use as dropcloths around the shop.
    (Plus, the fishies go nicely with the rest of my shop decor...or so LOML tells me.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Brent,
    Elbow height is a good starting point after using your lathe for a bit you may want to either raise or lower it depends if your back gets sore from bending over a bit raise it a couple of inches. Mine I have it about 2" above my elbow height.

I too like the setup but also too don't care for the lathe tools location. seems you would be barking your shins on the handles and have to step back to retrieve the desired tool. Also how do keep the chips and shaving and dust out of your goodies?

Here is my set up on one of my lathes,

although it is not a Mini, it would certainly suit a Mini

The drawers hold an array of different tools...

Brent since you started this thread I want to thank you for prompting the idea. And thanks to all the others for sharing their lathe benches.

I have been more than displeased with the very thin gauge bent steel frame that came with my lathe and have been considering something like this but always thought that weight was the thing that is needed on a lathe bench.

I like the idea of somewhere to store the tools and get rid of the vibration noise caused by the steel and the tools rattling around when you turn.

Thanks guys for sharing. This will go on the project list for my new shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Well, Finally got around to it. Was tired of lugging the lathe out when I wanted to use it, and I never really hooked up the extension bed to it.

So I figured I'd make a stand for it. The rule in my little shop is everything but sawhorses gets mounted on wheels, so This has a set of locking casters under it.

Everything needs to do double duty too, so storage for the tools accessories needs to be built in.

I might move the chisel rack to the other side, but so far it doesn't really bother me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turningcart.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	24021
    cheers