Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robs Palace Workshop Updated Interior Pictures 3 parts

Robs Palace Workshop Updated Interior Pictures 3 parts

Hi All Post 1 of 2

After some absence this summer (mother in law came to visit) I am finally getting back into routine.

Anyway thought it was high time I showed you guys a few pics of my new workshop. (Currently I work out of our basement) The new shop is not quiet ready for the move in. Hope to get going before end of October in time for winter.

Due to limitation on pictures I will do to posts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short while later after the bobcat finished hole.jpg   forms are up and ready for the concrete.jpg   concrete is poured but not level.jpg   voila workshop is errected came home too late to see blow by blow progress.jpg   front view for double door.jpg  

side view with nice windows i face a ravine so good view.jpg   scissor trusses get more height and usable space for very little additional dollars.jpg   the nearly complete shell with siding and shingles.jpg   a view from the window last winter .jpg  
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 01-11-2009 at 05:14 AM.
    cheers

Rob Palace Workshop Part 2

Few comments to add to the previous post and to be able to add a few more pictures.

1) I got a company that builds sheds to do this shop for me and they did a great job IMO and were very honourable guys. Anyone in Ontario ever wants their name just email me.
    2) The concrete pad came out bad due to the delay on the part of the concrete suppliers between batches so the pad was supposed to be power troweled to get it nice and smooth and flat. These guys felt really bad about the outcome and in return gave me a proper insulated subfloor with 2X6 and pink insulation, vapor barrier and 3/4 fir plywood all for free. What a pleasure, thought I was going to have to do it myself.
    3) I am a immigrant to Canada and have always wanted to build a strip canoe as part of my own "rights of passage" to becoming Canadian. You will see a barn door on the front of the shop as well as place for it to be stored inside for winter. Hence the use of scissor trusses which allowed me to use my ceiling space and gain that extra height. I added the braces bewlow the ceiling to mount the shop heater and to be able to make a platform for the canoe to be built.
    4) I nearly forgot to mention sizes oops. Overall pad size is 22ft x 22ft. As a trade off with the SWIMBO for takingup half of her yard I had to put the porch on and loose 4ft but it makes it asthetically more acceptable.
    Used 2x6 for the sides so as to get R22 insulation. Also had the guys build the walls 9ft high for the additional height. There are three windows all same size 6ft x 5ft.
    5) Even though the shed guys had an architect do the plans and I have an approved town permit for the whole building I have had endless trouble from my neighbor over this shed. Inspector told me it was pure envy. Hey these guys came here from Asia 20 years ago and you would think they could speak english and understand that in my culture people have hobbies like this and spend money on them. They think I am starting an industrial area in my backyard. All my other neighbors think it is great.
    6) Shop heater is a radiant heater that is fully closed system and all insurance approved for this exact type of application. What a beauty heats the place in no time and keeps it nicely above the freezing and dew point so as not to get moisture forming. When I go in there now that insulation is done it takes a few seconds to get up to a comfortable temp.
    7) I have completed the electrical and currently and working on my drywall. I am using 5/8 drywall and hear this doing two layers. Wow I hear some of you say. But I came across this product called green glue. Google it and you will see it is used for sound insulation. You sanwhich it between two sheets of drywall and it will give you a huge sound reduction. I am trying everything to be quiet in the neighbor hood and be accomodating to my neighbors. At present I think their air conditioners make more noise than anything I can do. I still have to deal with the noise to be radiated from the windows. Probably will use shutters for nights.
    8) On the tool front I am nuts about dust after all I have read and so the first installation which is currently underway along with the drywall is my dust collector. I decided to buy America and settled on the Oneida 3hp.

Thats about it for now will post some more when I take some more pictures and get around to doing it.

My thanks and appreciation goes out to all of you who have generously posted their shop pictures in the past. I cannot express how greatfull I am for being able to see how others do things and to realize I am not alone in this world. Everyone around me seems to think I am nuts and would rather watch TV during winter months. I would rather be building my new canoe in anticipation of the coming of spring. Hey I am not trying to rush winter with it being the official end of summer here today. I love fall the most out of all the seasons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60Amp sub panel from the house and the other conduit is for the communications and alarm and smo.jpg   what a beauty my radiant shop heater.jpg   Scissors truss in the ceiling allows use of the space for my future canoe storage.jpg  
    cheers

Rob,

Nice Shop! Thanks for posting.

looks great

rob i would say from the looks of your pictures that you had great crew working for ya.. and i can see many happy hours in there..that wood floor you got is gonna be nice,,thats one thing i wished i had done with mine.. your gonna like theat porch too set out there and watch the sunset with your better half while sippin a glass of wine or someother refreshment...ya dun good bud
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

thats a good looking shop, new, Im envious.

Its a bit disheartening that you posted how a neighbor has nothing better to do than complain. Mr. Stu posted about his nosy neighbor in Japan.
    Ive suffered with one of those for years, its amazing how some people just cant accept the fact that they dont own or manage everyone elses property.

Looks great though, better fire up that heat.

Rob,
    sounds like you're doing what is needed to keep him shut up... and so long as the town approves, you should be good to go. Had one of our neighbors gripe to the town about my shop... and they were told that I had a duly filed permit (they built an outbuilding and didn't file one, so they're really mad at the town, not me) and that it was none of their business. Other than that, which I heard third hand, none of my neighbors mind at all. (summer cottages to either side and a guy who is almost never home directly behind me.)
    -Ned

Strip built Canoe link

Rob,
    check out the following link:
    http://home.wmis.net/~eastmant/projects.html

guy over on WWA Tim and his son built this as a project for his education, they home school their kids. Gorgeous strip built cedar canoe.
    -Ned

Hi Ned

Thanks for the link. I had already logged this one in my favorites while researching the canoes. Man I can't wait to start. Might even put finishing the shop on hold to get going. One of my great neighbors had a friend who has built one already and he kindly gave me the forms so I could build one. So I am off to a good start. Only debate is whether to cut the strips and bead and cove them myself or buy ready made strips. Knowing my impatience I think I will buy ready made any thoughts. I also think finding good quality western red cedar on the east coast will be just as costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Rob,
    check out the following link:
    http://home.wmis.net/~eastmant/projects.html

guy over on WWA Tim and his son built this as a project for his education, they home school their kids. Gorgeous strip built cedar canoe.
    cheers

Rob, paint me GREEN with envy, that is one nice shop!

Sounds like you are taking the extra steps to be a good neighbour yourself, even if you have one lousy neighbour to deal with.

Keep the pics coming, and I'd finish the shop before you start that canoe, because once you start, you will never finish the shop!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yep! Very nice shop indeed.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com