Robs Palace Workshop Updated Interior Pictures 3 parts

Rob Keeble

Hi All Post 1 of 2

After some absence this summer (mother in law came to visit) I am finally getting back into routine.

Anyway thought it was high time I showed you guys a few pics of my new workshop. (Currently I work out of our basement) The new shop is not quiet ready for the move in. Hope to get going before end of October in time for winter.

Due to limitation on pictures I will do to posts.

Attachments

• Short while later after the bobcat finished hole.jpg
    Short while later after the bobcat finished hole.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 257
  • a view from the window last winter .jpg
    a view from the window last winter .jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 295
  • the nearly complete shell with siding and shingles.jpg
    the nearly complete shell with siding and shingles.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 341
  • scissor trusses get more height and usable space for very little additional dollars.jpg
    scissor trusses get more height and usable space for very little additional dollars.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 821
  • side view with nice windows i face a ravine so good view.jpg
    side view with nice windows i face a ravine so good view.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 221
  • front view for double door.jpg
    front view for double door.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 268
  • voila workshop is errected came home too late to see blow by blow progress.jpg
    voila workshop is errected came home too late to see blow by blow progress.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 294
  • concrete is poured but not level.jpg
    concrete is poured but not level.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 222
  • forms are up and ready for the concrete.jpg
    forms are up and ready for the concrete.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Rob Palace Workshop Part 2

Few comments to add to the previous post and to be able to add a few more pictures.

1) I got a company that builds sheds to do this shop for me and they did a great job IMO and were very honourable guys. Anyone in Ontario ever wants their name just email me.
2) The concrete pad came out bad due to the delay on the part of the concrete suppliers between batches so the pad was supposed to be power troweled to get it nice and smooth and flat. These guys felt really bad about the outcome and in return gave me a proper insulated subfloor with 2X6 and pink insulation, vapor barrier and 3/4 fir plywood all for free. What a pleasure, thought I was going to have to do it myself.
3) I am a immigrant to Canada and have always wanted to build a strip canoe as part of my own "rights of passage" to becoming Canadian. You will see a barn door on the front of the shop as well as place for it to be stored inside for winter. Hence the use of scissor trusses which allowed me to use my ceiling space and gain that extra height. I added the braces bewlow the ceiling to mount the shop heater and to be able to make a platform for the canoe to be built.
4) I nearly forgot to mention sizes oops. Overall pad size is 22ft x 22ft. As a trade off with the SWIMBO for takingup half of her yard I had to put the porch on and loose 4ft but it makes it asthetically more acceptable.
Used 2x6 for the sides so as to get R22 insulation. Also had the guys build the walls 9ft high for the additional height. There are three windows all same size 6ft x 5ft.
5) Even though the shed guys had an architect do the plans and I have an approved town permit for the whole building I have had endless trouble from my neighbor over this shed. Inspector told me it was pure envy. Hey these guys came here from Asia 20 years ago and you would think they could speak english and understand that in my culture people have hobbies like this and spend money on them. They think I am starting an industrial area in my backyard. All my other neighbors think it is great.
6) Shop heater is a radiant heater that is fully closed system and all insurance approved for this exact type of application. What a beauty heats the place in no time and keeps it nicely above the freezing and dew point so as not to get moisture forming. When I go in there now that insulation is done it takes a few seconds to get up to a comfortable temp.
7) I have completed the electrical and currently and working on my drywall. I am using 5/8 drywall and hear this doing two layers. Wow I hear some of you say. But I came across this product called green glue. Google it and you will see it is used for sound insulation. You sanwhich it between two sheets of drywall and it will give you a huge sound reduction. I am trying everything to be quiet in the neighbor hood and be accomodating to my neighbors. At present I think their air conditioners make more noise than anything I can do. I still have to deal with the noise to be radiated from the windows. Probably will use shutters for nights.
8) On the tool front I am nuts about dust after all I have read and so the first installation which is currently underway along with the drywall is my dust collector. I decided to buy America and settled on the Oneida 3hp.

Thats about it for now will post some more when I take some more pictures and get around to doing it.

My thanks and appreciation goes out to all of you who have generously posted their shop pictures in the past. I cannot express how greatfull I am for being able to see how others do things and to realize I am not alone in this world. Everyone around me seems to think I am nuts and would rather watch TV during winter months. I would rather be building my new canoe in anticipation of the coming of spring. Hey I am not trying to rush winter with it being the official end of summer here today. I love fall the most out of all the seasons.

Attachments

• Scissors truss in the ceiling allows use of the space for my future canoe storage.jpg
    Scissors truss in the ceiling allows use of the space for my future canoe storage.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 848
  • what a beauty my radiant shop heater.jpg
    what a beauty my radiant shop heater.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 496
  • 60Amp sub panel from the house and the other conduit is for the communications and alarm and smo.jpg
    60Amp sub panel from the house and the other conduit is for the communications and alarm and smo.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 241
looks great

rob i would say from the looks of your pictures that you had great crew working for ya.. and i can see many happy hours in there..that wood floor you got is gonna be nice,,thats one thing i wished i had done with mine.. your gonna like theat porch too set out there and watch the sunset with your better half while sippin a glass of wine or someother refreshment...ya dun good bud:thumb::thumb:

thats a good looking shop, new, Im envious.

Its a bit disheartening that you posted how a neighbor has nothing better to do than complain. Mr. Stu posted about his nosy neighbor in Japan.
Ive suffered with one of those for years, its amazing how some people just cant accept the fact that they dont own or manage everyone elses property.

Looks great though, better fire up that heat.

Rob,
sounds like you're doing what is needed to keep him shut up... and so long as the town approves, you should be good to go. Had one of our neighbors gripe to the town about my shop... and they were told that I had a duly filed permit (they built an outbuilding and didn't file one, so they're really mad at the town, not me) and that it was none of their business. Other than that, which I heard third hand, none of my neighbors mind at all. (summer cottages to either side and a guy who is almost never home directly behind me.)

Hi Ned

Thanks for the link. I had already logged this one in my favorites while researching the canoes. Man I can't wait to start. Might even put finishing the shop on hold to get going. One of my great neighbors had a friend who has built one already and he kindly gave me the forms so I could build one. So I am off to a good start. Only debate is whether to cut the strips and bead and cove them myself or buy ready made strips. Knowing my impatience I think I will buy ready made any thoughts. I also think finding good quality western red cedar on the east coast will be just as costly.

Rob,
check out the following link:
http://home.wmis.net/~eastmant/projects.html

guy over on WWA Tim and his son built this as a project for his education, they home school their kids. Gorgeous strip built cedar canoe.

Rob, paint me GREEN with envy, that is one nice shop! :thumb:

Sounds like you are taking the extra steps to be a good neighbour yourself, even if you have one lousy neighbour to deal with.

Keep the pics coming, and I'd finish the shop before you start that canoe, because once you start, you will never finish the shop! :D :thumb:

Cheers!

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. I consider my self extremely fortunate to be able to do this and more so to have a wife that cares so much for me that she actually motivated the building.

I also have to say that living in North America with the relatively low cost of affordable tools makes it more accessible to get into this hobby.

The story I did not tell was how it came to be. But that is for another day.

Cheers

Shop Tour & Interior Update !!! lots of pics !!! Part 1

Here are the updates to my shop. Last pictures showed just the shell, now it has been electrified, insulated R22 vapor barriered and drywall one layer and in some areas 2. I have done all the interior work bit by bit. Got my electrical approved by the Eletrical Safety Authority first time. By the way drywall is two layers of 5/8" with goop in the middle called green glue. All to sound proof it as much as possible to prevent alienating the neighbours. Drywall not finished yet.

Have also installed the phone line from my office in our house and connected up the smoke detector to the ones in our house. Now if one goes off in the house I hear it in the shop and visa versa.

I have taken pictures of my major tools and also a view from the shop out of the windows. Shop front door faces west so windows look south to one neighbor and east to the ravine in the back of us. Windows are 5ft wide by 4ft high. North wall is solid and faces the NN neighbor which you all know about.

Decided after running out of cash due to this recession we are all facing, and getting frustrated with seeing all the posts of projects here, that I just had to postpone finishing the drywall and painting and move in. So a weekend before Xmas I got my sons to help move everything in. Sorry Stu I just could not wait I know full well I am going to pay for it later. Now unfortunately the place is a dump everthing is basically where it landed in the move. Slowly sorting bits out and using the opportunity of the move to re tune all my machines as I re-assemble them. Bandsaw is the first to be completed. Busy on my Craftsman Pro Table Saw. Also fitting new dust collector pic up ducts to machines.

So here are a few pics of the shop and my machines. Probably split it into multiple posts.

First the interior shots taken at the top of a ladder looking back towards the door.

ladderviewright.jpglsdderviewleft.jpgwood and bits and pieces corner.jpg

From the door looking in right side and then left side

IMG_2599.jpgIMG_2600.jpg

At last I have lights on at least one side

Shop lights  at last.jpg

Other side still needs a additional layer of drywall

this side needs another layer and then the 4ft lights can go up.jpg

Smoke Detector
smoke detector.jpg

Wired up electrical panel....cant have enough circuits. I have 220v circuits on all 3 walls.

Electrical panel and extinguisher.jpg

Last edited:
Shop Tour Part two !! more Pics

Here are more pictures of my shop. :)huh::huh:) just hit the wrong button while posting and have had to do this whole post over again. Was on the last picture. :bang: Here goes again.

The view eastwards out of the windows right now
east view out windows 1.jpgeastview out windows 2.jpgeastview outwindows3.jpg

View to the south
view out the windows south.jpg
View of the shop from outside today. Note the weather station in the foreground on the deck. This is a temporary arrangement will be mounted on the shop roof at the rear to get clear wind measurements.
Winter shop pick jan 2008.jpg
Mounted my Grizzly air cleaner
Grizzly air cleaner finally mounted.jpg
Still have my Oneida Cyclone dust collector to hook up, it will be in a cubical of its own in the corner. Made my own frame with the help of a friend who has a welder.
IMG_2576.jpg
Shot of the casement windows and the double layer drywall
casement windows.jpgdouble layer drywall for sound proofing.jpg
Mounted my Grizzly power cord extension reel.
mounted my grizzly reel extension.jpg

Will show you pics of my major tools in part 3

Last edited:
Shop machinery part 3 more pics

Ok so here is the final post for now
Busy Bee lathe...cheap but it works. Busy bee lathe.jpg
Craftsman Hybrid Cabinet saw. ( I still got a version of the Orion build)Craftsman pro table saw being reassembled after big move from the basement.jpg Saw is being re assembled after move.
Delta 14"bandsaw with riser, tune up complete after move. This machine has the quick release tension arm.delta bandsaw with riser block.jpg
Delta Shopmaster drill press...will be upgraded at a later stage.delta shopmaster drill press.jpg
Delta 8" variable speed grinder. I have fitted a 80 grit white wheel and a felt wheel for honing.delta 8inch variable speed grinder.jpg
Just like Stu I wish to get rid of this monster. Takes up way to much space. My Dewalt 12" sliding compound mitre saw.SCMS 12 inch.jpg
Dewalt 13" planer. Love this little babyDewalt 13inch planner.jpg
Grizzly 8" jointer now that it has the free mag switch fitted I am happy with this baby.:)jointer griz 656 with new mag switch fitted.jpg
My super special aircon from HD waiting for summer to fit this baby. Got such a deal could not refuse.my bargain aircon waiting for summer installation.jpg
The future lathe bench. This thing is heavy. I brought this all the way from South Africa in my container when I moved. No one can believe me but I would not part with it.Solid Work bench.jpg

Well now I believe I have the picture police properly satisfied. Now i can get down to sorting the shop out and getting things in their proper place and hooking up the dust collector( that will have to wait for cash).

Thanks for looking if you got this far.:thumb:

Good looking shop Rob. :thumb: It's is too bad that you couldn't get the wall finished before moving in:( been in that boat before.:D You have some nice tools and looks like you've got a good start on the lighting:thumb: How have things gone with the NN? I hope they don't cause any grief for you down the road. The only thing I didn't care of about your shop is all that white fungus that's growing everywhere:D:rofl::rofl: