Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: number 8 restoration

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    oswego county , upstate n.y.
    Posts
    280

    number 8 restoration

    hi all ,

    just thought i would post a pic or two of a recently acquired #8 that i cleaned up and made usable again.i have a hock blade on the way. special thanks to jim delany for his help with finding the right parts
    sorry the pics aren't all that great but you get the idea . thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #8 resto.jpg   #8 resto 2.jpg   #8 resto.jpg 2.jpg  
    what are you building today ??

    GRIZZLY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    583
    Nice,
    kinda makes me want to put the finishing touches on the #7C i've got almost done (shelved due to more pressing projects)
    What all did you wind up doing? Electrolysis, baking on new japaning, lapping the frog to the sole, new knob / tote???
    My #7 took a bit getting used to when puting it to work - it's no block plane.
    Have fun with it.
    paulh

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Posts
    5,322
    I guess Lori came thru with the right parts, huh? Didn't you get the wrong ones the first time, or something?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    oswego county , upstate n.y.
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hubbman View Post
    Nice,
    kinda makes me want to put the finishing touches on the #7C i've got almost done (shelved due to more pressing projects)
    What all did you wind up doing? Electrolysis, baking on new japaning, lapping the frog to the sole, new knob / tote???
    My #7 took a bit getting used to when puting it to work - it's no block plane.
    Have fun with it.
    paulh
    hey paul,
    as far as the rest goes i flattened the bottom and made the sides 90* to the sole. that took about an hour and a half. the japaning wasn't in to bad shape, about 80% good. i brushed down some clear shellac to protect it. refinished the knob and tote. ordered a new blade and chip breaker from 'hock'. they should be here next week.
    what are you building today ??

    GRIZZLY

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    oswego county , upstate n.y.
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I guess Lori came thru with the right parts, huh? Didn't you get the wrong ones the first time, or something?
    hey when i called up the second time i got lori's boss and he sent me the right parts.
    what are you building today ??

    GRIZZLY

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by jim capozzi View Post
    hey when i called up the second time i got lori's boss and he sent me the right parts.
    Musta been Lori's day off...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Similar Threads

  1. 43 that's the number
    By Don Baer in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 02:48 PM
  2. number 7
    By John Daugherty in forum Neander Tool Questions and Show & Tell
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-24-2014, 07:45 PM
  3. Number 5
    By Dave Hawksford in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 12:31 AM
  4. Another repair/Restoration
    By Don Baer in forum Finishing School
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 07:15 PM
  5. Almost Number Six
    By Travis Johnson in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 01:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •