number 8 restoration

jim capozzi

hi all ,

just thought i would post a pic or two of a recently acquired #8 that i cleaned up and made usable again.i have a hock blade on the way. special thanks to jim delany for his help with finding the right parts:wave:
sorry the pics aren't all that great but you get the idea . thanks for looking :D

Attachments

• #8 resto.jpg
    #8 resto.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 60
  • #8 resto 2.jpg
    #8 resto 2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 58
  • #8 resto.jpg 2.jpg
    #8 resto.jpg 2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 60
Nice,
kinda makes me want to put the finishing touches on the #7C i've got almost done (shelved due to more pressing projects)
What all did you wind up doing? Electrolysis, baking on new japaning, lapping the frog to the sole, new knob / tote???
My #7 took a bit getting used to when puting it to work - it's no block plane.
Have fun with it.
paulh

Nice,
kinda makes me want to put the finishing touches on the #7C i've got almost done (shelved due to more pressing projects)
What all did you wind up doing? Electrolysis, baking on new japaning, lapping the frog to the sole, new knob / tote???
My #7 took a bit getting used to when puting it to work - it's no block plane.
Have fun with it.
paulh

hey paul,
as far as the rest goes i flattened the bottom and made the sides 90* to the sole. that took about an hour and a half. the japaning wasn't in to bad shape, about 80% good. i brushed down some clear shellac to protect it. refinished the knob and tote. ordered a new blade and chip breaker from 'hock'. they should be here next week.