Thread: Dark finish on cherry

We now divide our time between southwest Florida and southwest Vermont.

Dark finish on cherry

I'm about to start work on a simple hall table- 18x40 top, apron with one drawer, tapered legs. It will be made of cherry, because that's all I have on hand right now. In order for it to look right in the planned location, we think it should be darker than natural, something close to a dark walnut shade. I am a total novice at this, and while I will have scrap for testing various finishes, I could use some advice to get started in the right direction.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Tony
    The optimist says the glass is half full.
    The pessimist says it's half empty.
    I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

well cherry will darken

and in time alot, almost to the point of walnut. there are more expeirneced folk out there than me, but the general jist is if you want to darken it now to what you are tryin to match it will pass it in time.. and then be to far the other way possibly.. i would suggest using trans tints to get you in the right direction but hold of on matching it right now.. take a look at the blocthy cheery post and you can see what 5 days of sun tan did to some cherry and one coat of garnet shellac and 6 coats of laquer.. the door on the right had only 3 days of major sun the rst was over cast. cherry gets dark and will match closly to walnut in years to come with natural finishes.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The only words of advice I can give you is you can use a stain to get it to look like walnut but in time it will gain a patina of its own and will eventually look Black. Time and sunlight is what will get the nice patina on cherry, if that is the dark color you are looking for.

Jay

if you want the walnut look then buy some walnut............it`d be a shame to stain or dye perfectly good cherry.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    if you want the walnut look then buy some walnut
    Amen to that!

I personally would not dye the cherry, and don't use orange shellac - it ends up looking just that - ORANGE - I know! Looks great on walnut though

I have a chest of draws I made years ago and simply finished it with wipe-on-poly. Over time it's a really nice dark shade. My table that I used shellac on is now lighter that the chest - and still looks orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Maio View Post
    ... I could use some advice to get started in the right direction.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Tony
    OK, you asked for it. Let cherry be cherry! Natural and unadulterated. Like Tod said, if you want the table to look like walnut -- buy walnut -- don't mess with the natural beauty of cherry.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Now here a doozy for you. About 10 years ago, when I know zero about ww-ing, my first project was a nightstand. I'd built it using maple, and my wife decide she's like it to be a nice dark color, like walnut. Doh!

I ended up plastering it with umpteen layers of gel stain. It worked out okay-ish but as said here, if you want it to look like walnut, use walnut.