Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have jewelry box pictures?

anyone have jewelry box pictures?

I just had a long talk with my son and it appears there is going to be some jewelry given to his girlfriend for Christmas....no engagement ring....yet, but more than likely a necklace or bracelet, he even said possibly a diamond chip in a ring....so it sounds like I neeed to build a jewelry box for this young lady.

Anybody mind sharing some pics of theirs while I'm getting ideas?
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Steve, these are some I built 4-5 years ago. Mahogany/???/with Imbuia top. Inside top, bottom and tray swede leather covered and rosewood around the opening (top and bottom).
    Last edited by Cecil Arnold; 12-15-2006 at 04:01 AM.

Steve, here are a pair of ring boxes I made as a wedding gift to LOML. For a bracelet or necklace I figure you're definitely looking for something bigger, but maybe these little ones will give someone ideas for future projects:

Attachment 2187

The sides are pau ferro with birdseye maple dovetail keys, and the tops and bases are solid quilted maple. The bottom has a chunk of Rockler velvet ring holder foam stuff. Real simple, but getting a perfect lacquer finish on a small scale like that was a challenge.

Attachment 2188

I came up with a handy trick for doing the tops and bottoms out of a single piece of 3/4" stock. I cut the bevels in the top, then cut a dado around the edge. The dimensions inside the dado match the inside dimensions of the box:

Attachment 2190

Then split it into top and bottom pieces on the bandsaw:

Attachment 2191

Comes out like this:

Attachment 2189

That's my jewelry box story and I'm stickin' to it.

BTW Cecil, those are gorgeous boxes you did. And I love the smell of imbuia when it's cut.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Steve,
    I have some plans for one, PM me if you want more info.

BILL

Nice looking boxes fellas...very nice. Gonna have to turn it up a notch to hang with you guys.

Keep em coming gang.

Bill, PM sent.

I built this Pencil Box/ Jewlery Box a few years ago for my wife. She is a 5th grade School Teacher and I thought this would be perfect for her desk.

In designing it though, I forgot a few things. One, the design should be impact resistant as she never took the Pencil Box to school. She felt the kids would tip it over and break it. Two, I should have waited to make it for her after more than two dates. I guess she thought all that work meant I was jumping the gun.

Over the 3 years it has been since I built this, she has learned that woodworkers are a funny lot. We don't consider this as a lot of work, rather building a box like this is rather a lot of fun. Incidentally she has always used this Pencil Box as a Jewlery box.

Progress

This is how far I got today, even when dealing with carpet installers etc.

I had some birdseye maple pieces laying around from my other project, Birdseye Maple bookcase, so I thought I'd make use of it and planed a piece down to 5/8, then put a bevel on it to be the base/

Next I took a piece of Cherry, (free) and planed that down to 3/8, mitered the corners and put in splined corners...anyone wanna guess what type of wood those splines are?

Then I glued up some Birdseye maple to make the top piece, I had some highly figured short pieces left over. After the glue dried, I ran that (top) piece through the planer to almost 1/2" then put the piece through my drum sander to not risk any tearout of the birdseye.

I will cut the top down to the correct size once I determine what hinge I am using. I will either bevel the top or round over....looking for suggestions also folks.

Thought about getting some pre-made cherry spindles (short) to act as little legs.

the pieces at this point are just setting on each other, not secured yet.

Steve, that color contrast when finished is going to be very attractive. I found that the hinges on the ones I built were challenging, but they may be easy for you.

See, there ya go. That's pretty much my box-making methodology. Pick up a piece of pretty wood, cut it to fit another piece of pretty wood...do this a few times and bam! There's a box.

I've used the little barrel hinges and had pretty good luck with them, although you have to have 45 bevels on the lid and the back of the box. Have you considered having no hinges...just a lift-off top?

Attachment 2238 Attachment 2239
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Have you considered having no hinges...just a lift-off top?
    I hadn't until now.... .....Gonna need to play with that idea Vaughn, thanks.