Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water base poly???

water base poly???

got a table that had deft lacqr on it first i think,, then had poly afterwards.. anyway i gave it a sanding again and then gave it a coat of shellac seal coat..zinzer,, well after it had set a bit it got alittel cracking in one area i want to apply water base poly on it for the final caot what do you gurus suggest i do now???? touch sand the shellac and go with the poly??? tonight its gonna happen so speak up please
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

when i use that dreaded stuff i never use waterbased.......sorry larry
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

ok letsd regrtoup

what the hay should i use for kitchen table top thats gonna get used for more than just eatin.. i have given it a coat of shellac cuz i am not sure what was under it.. and the wize ones say that shellac is the go between in all things finish got another day cuz the boss said i could so i hope to get a answer that will work,, and water base isnt in the equation any longer just a hard durable eatin finish.. and i am gettin hungry. no main meals till its back in service
    Last edited by larry merlau; 09-23-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: food fer thoguht

did you sand and wash with either spirits or tsp before shellac? if so then the shellac is bonded.......i`d use either a poly for floors......or (my choice) a conversion varnish, m.l.campbell makes a good-n...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    did you sand and wash with either spirits or tsp before shellac? if so then the shellac is bonded.......i`d use either a poly for floors......or (my choice) a conversion varnish, m.l.campbell makes a good-n...
    ok tod help this dumb nut out alittle what is tsp??? i sanded then wiped it down alot with dna.. before sprayin. ya got alink wher ei could find sum ml varnish tod

tri-sodium phosphate...
    m.l.campbell is usually carried by folks who carry pittsburg?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    tri-sodium phosphate...
    m.l.campbell is usually carried by folks who carry pittsburg?
    nope didnt use any of that me and chemistry wasnt freinds but washing it down with alchol ,,would that do it too? the second coat seemed to go on ok after i touched sande the first coat.. i saw what caude my crakles it was the sun coming threw the screen yup had me eyes ckd yesterday:0 ok tod i will chk for a pitts burg place is there anothe rname for it ,,like magnalc conversion varnish? is that what jason used on his last project.. it was pre cat lac of some sort,, how is the clean up does it dry hard and clog things up fast?

Larry,

I PM'd you on this but thought I'd toss it into this thread for comments from others. I've used water-borne finishes on only one project so far, but have another ready for topcoat now. I used Target filler, sealer and conversion varnish on the kitchen island top I posted recently. My experience is based on a lot of research on this and other forums plus some actual usage now. I plan to use these products as well as Target USL going forward.

One thing I learned from researching the Target products is to wipe down the piece with a 50/50 mix of DNA and water between each coat. This removes fine dust and any oily fingerprints, etc.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    got a table that had deft lacqr on it first i think,, then had poly afterwards.. anyway i gave it a sanding again and then gave it a coat of shellac seal coat..zinzer,, well after it had set a bit it got alittel cracking in one area i want to apply water base poly on it for the final caot what do you gurus suggest i do now???? touch sand the shellac and go with the poly??? tonight its gonna happen so speak up please

Give me a break. Chemestry has to come to play sooner or later. Four layers of incompatible chemicals. Poly over Lacquer deft is OK but Shellac over Poly? and then Waterbased? Lacquer is a solvent based product that after the solvent evaporates the finish is hard and done. Poly is a slow drying finish that exudes vapors for years, then add an alcohol solvent finish Shellac over the top which seals the fumes from the Poly and creates the crackle effect, and to top it off with a water based product and we all know what water does to shellac finish. You should be creating some interesting Antique Faux Finish. Sounds like HGTV Decorating on a doily

Sorry to be so blunt but there is a great deal of Science and Chemestry that goes into proper finishing.

Sorry to be so blunt but there is a great deal of Science and Chemestry that goes into proper finishing.[/QUOTE]

well Mr Simpson, this is why i asked for some assitance and got what help i got here and other places,, see i never said i was chemist, and asked what to do.. from what little i know shellac is the go between coat to lay another film finish down over a non compatible one...According to many finishers that are much more expeiernced than me,,,,, i had sanded this table top down to almost bare wood,,veneer,, and then gave it two coats of shellac to make the change. i wasnt sure of the previous coatings.. and this is just a eatin table..i hadnt gotten a definative answer and hadnt heard your directions prior. so i done what thought to be correct and asked a paint distributor there opinion as well to compare againt what i had heard here and from others in the know more than me.... they said to use the shellac as i have done and then to use a precat lacquer.. over that.. so i went with there choice.. see they sell paint and therfore should have some idea of there products use,, much more than i who was looking for a solution.. sorry if my ignorance and lack of reasearch offended anyone.. next time i will do more leg work. but i can say that this finish i have on eher now is real tough compared to the last one.