Pyrography or Woodburning tool reviews

I am thinking about purchasing a good woodburning/pyrography tool. I am interested in a unit which comes with temperature control.

I want to do more than just sign my name with it.

Anyone here has one? if so, which one and why did you purchase it? Has it met your expectations?

I've got the Burnmaster controller. (The Eagle model, but the dual port is really unnecessary for my use.) I bought it based on recommendations I saw on various carving and pyrography sites. I've been very happy with it so far.

I have pens from Detail Master and from Razortip. The Detail Master pens are more robust (metal instead of plastic), but I've had two or three that died after a couple seconds of use. So far I've not had any problems with the Razortip pens.

Thanks guys.

I found a lot of information on woodburner.com.

It seems that any high end unit will work just fine. Some of the most famous brands are Burnmaster, Razortip, Detail Master, Colewood and Optima. Some boast a higher wattage than others but practically it makes little difference, as most pyrographers don't like to burn at high temperatures. Prolong exposure to high temperatue can also destroy the nibs pretty quickly.

I found that most woodburners are happy with single port units because it only takes a few seconds to switch pens. In some cases, the price difference between a single port unit and a dual port unit is just about $20, so I am inclined to get a dual port unit.

I found out that when it comes to pens, woodburners have varied opinion. It comes down to personal preference, pens with vents, size of woodburner's hands etc. One thing is for sure, most woodburners prefer fixed-nib pens.
It is also a good idea to get a unit which accepts all pens, like Burnmaster. This way one can try out different pens.

Hope this information will be useful to some other aspiring woodburner.

Thanks for posting the results of your research. I'm not in the market for woodburning equipment right now but I have definitely thought about trying it.

Mike

I also have the BurnMaster Eagle. Lotsa power, and having two different pen tims readily available is sometimes an advantage. OTOH, it does heat up pretty much instantly, so switching pens on the single pen model (which is cheaper) wouldn't be a big deal.

Looks like you discovered pretty much all the same info I did when I went shopping for woodburning stuff.

...One thing is for sure, most woodburners prefer fixed-nib pens...

I tend to agree, but strangely enough, the only pens I've had to send back were the Detail Master fixed-nib pens. I have a Detail Master with replaceable nibs that has worked fine so far.

Dredging up this old thread, as I'm in the market for a woodburner now, after seeing Eli Avisera for two days the the wonderful EASY decorations he does on a variety of his smaller turnings, I would really like to get one of these units.

I'm looking at the >> Razertip << unit that Lee Valley sells, as I have an order in with them really soon, and as always, shipping it a factor for me.

What do you guys think of the units you bought now that you have had them a while?

What about the pens, which ones do you find you use the most?

I'm looking at two pens right now;

Look at >> THIS << page and you can see the #5M hand piece, and the #9 hand piece, one is listed as "Used by turners for embellishing" and the other is listed as a "Writing Tip".

Do you think that these would serve me well?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Stu, the Razertip controller is said to be a good one, and I've been happy with my Razertip pens. (Also very happy with my Burnmaster controller.) The 5M tip pen is a handy shape for various embellishments, but for writing, I use this little 1/32" ball tip pen:

http://www.treelineusa.com/pyrography-woodburning/woodburning-pens/1-32-ball-tip-pen.html

You might check and see if Lee Valley can get that one. The #9 will work, but will create a wider line.

Hello Stu,

All things being equal is it cheaper for you to have things shipped from Canada or the USA?

I really feel for you whenever you mention having to mail order stuff from across the Pacific.

Cheers.

Thanks Fellas!

Vaughn, that is exactly the type of info I'm looking for, domo! :D

Dan, don't worry, other things are cheaper here, so it sort of works out.

usually it is much cheaper to ship from the US, but Lee Valley has a UPS super saver option now, an it take usually less than a week, which is faster than air mail, but cheaper, in fact the UPS Super Saver is often cheaper than a surface shipment, which can take SIX WEEKS :eek: Don't ask me how they do it, but this is just another reason for me to buy from Lee Valley.

Cheers!

I only use my wood burner to sign my pieces, but I use the Razortip ... I actually bought it for my wife a few years back, but she never used it... I like it and am pleased with the results... not the penmanship, but that's a fault of the operator, not the burner..

usually it is much cheaper to ship from the US, but Lee Valley has a UPS super saver option now, an it take usually less than a week, which is faster than air mail, but cheaper, in fact the UPS Super Saver is often cheaper than a surface shipment, which can take SIX WEEKS :eek: Don't ask me how they do it, but this is just another reason for me to buy from Lee Valley.

Cheers!

Stu,
I know how they do it, but it's a long and boring explanation... just enjoy the service :D:D