Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigid Osc Belt Sander

Rigid Osc Belt Sander

Hello All

I have seen a number of members have one of these sanders in their shop when I view the shop tours. I first saw the unit in a online video. Thought that it was quiet a neat trade off as a sander.

Then started to research it and have found conflicting views on its performance and reliability.

Can those memebers that have them and use them throw in their 5 cents worth please. Also if you would be so kind as to elaborate on how much and how often you have used it and would you buy it again or what exact problems you had.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rigid Sander.jpg  
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Can those memebers that have them and use them throw in their 5 cents worth please. Also if you would be so kind as to elaborate on how much and how often you have used it and would you buy it again or what exact problems you had.
    Rob, Good question!

I'd be interested in hearing what owners have to say about it too. An oscillating spindle sander is one of my next shop upgrades. For me the 2 current contenders are the Ridgid (belt & spindle) and Jet's bench top oscillating spindle sander.

One of my requirements is for the table to tilt up to at least 45 deg.
    That rules out Delta's benchtop model, and probably a few others too.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

I've had one of the Ridgid ones for about half a year now. It hasn't been used heavily, but I've used it for a few things like knife handles and the wavy paper towel holder I posted pics of a while back. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I do recommend one of the crepe rubber sander cleaning sticks. They work as advertised. The dust collection port helps a bit, but it definitely doesn't capture all the dust.

A longer belt would be handy in some cases, but for my limited shop space, it's been ideal. It stores under my bench, and I set it on my table saw to use it. It's light enough to be easy to move, but it's substantial enough to do what I've asked it to do so far. I do like the fact that the case has molded-in slots to store all of the different bits and pieces that go with it. At this point, I'd buy it again.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Offering an Option .......

I have the Porter Cable 121, (Handheld) Portable Oscillating Spindle Sander attached to a plate that fits in my router table. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11068
    IF you have a router table, consider the PC, it eliminates another full machine in a crowded shop. I got the 3/8" aluminum plate from Woodpecker's (not sure if they sell them anymore) but any solid router plate could be drilled to fit.

Just an option for consideration............ Tony

OOPS! SORRY, I went back and looked at your pic -- we are talking about different animals here...... Sorry!
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-24-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Tony, BCE '75

I have one also and like it well. A longer belt would be nice but short is better than none. Wood magazine has a review of it and a few neat jigs for it also.

Tom

I've had one for 3 years of heavy use now, including grinding stone with silicone carabide belts. I recommend this machine every chance I get. I mostly use the belt function as opposed to the spindles. Use it on everything from large furniture parts to small jewelry. The belts are standard 4x24 so you can get them anywhere. You can get them up to 320 grit as well. I tend to be more on the artsy side than the cabinet maker side so the sander is a godsend to my small shop. Recently, the oscillating function stopped working. Took it apart and looked at the gearbox, couldn't see anything wrong amongst all the grease, so it put it back together, and it started working again. Even if it breaks down at this point, I would go out and buy another. I've really abused the one I have and have got more than my moneys worth out of it. Also, here is a pic of my jerry-rigged dust collection; works great. Cheers, Barry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ridgid sander.jpg  

Thanks Vaughn

This is just what I was looking for. By the way I think one could always look at mounting it in a flip type of bench in conjunction with some other tool to make it more convenient and save space in a crowded shop. See the pic attached there is a plan available on the wood magazine site.
    http://www.woodstore.net/flwoce.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've had one of the Ridgid ones for about half a year now. It hasn't been used heavily, but I've used it for a few things like knife handles and the wavy paper towel holder I posted pics of a while back. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I do recommend one of the crepe rubber sander cleaning sticks. They work as advertised. The dust collection port helps a bit, but it definitely doesn't capture all the dust.

A longer belt would be handy in some cases, but for my limited shop space, it's been ideal. It stores under my bench, and I set it on my table saw to use it. It's light enough to be easy to move, but it's substantial enough to do what I've asked it to do so far. I do like the fact that the case has molded-in slots to store all of the different bits and pieces that go with it. At this point, I'd buy it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flip top work center.jpg  
    cheers

Thanks Tony

This is just what I hoped to hear about as well. I did not even know of this tools existence and I am a PC fan. Have a number of PC tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    I have the Porter Cable 121, (Handheld) Portable Oscillating Spindle Sander attached to a plate that fits in my router table. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Prod...roductID=11068
    IF you have a router table, consider the PC, it eliminates another full machine in a crowded shop. I got the 3/8" aluminum plate from Woodpecker's (not sure if they sell them anymore) but any solid router plate could be drilled to fit.

Just an option for consideration............ Tony

OOPS! SORRY, I went back and looked at your pic -- we are talking about different animals here...... Sorry!
    cheers

Tom would you happen to know which issue it was reviewed in. I am a wood subscriber but it would save me going through all the past issues to find it if you know. Everytime I seem to go looking through the past issues for something specific I get distracted and never end up finding what I wanted.

Thanks for the tip and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    I have one also and like it well. A longer belt would be nice but short is better than none. Wood magazine has a review of it and a few neat jigs for it also.

Tom
    cheers

That does it then I am sold. Now to wait to feast on a HD sale or a gift card or some bonus coupon from them in the mail.

Thanks Barry to sealed the deal.

By the way guys the reviews I read for this were not that positive but I guess some people have unrealistic expectations for a small tool like this. What does one expect for $200 when a real decent sander can cost high hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Richardson View Post
    I've had one for 3 years of heavy use now, including grinding stone with silicone carabide belts. I recommend this machine every chance I get. I mostly use the belt function as opposed to the spindles. Use it on everything from large furniture parts to small jewelry. The belts are standard 4x24 so you can get them anywhere. You can get them up to 320 grit as well. I tend to be more on the artsy side than the cabinet maker side so the sander is a godsend to my small shop. Recently, the oscillating function stopped working. Took it apart and looked at the gearbox, couldn't see anything wrong amongst all the grease, so it put it back together, and it started working again. Even if it breaks down at this point, I would go out and buy another. I've really abused the one I have and have got more than my moneys worth out of it. Also, here is a pic of my jerry-rigged dust collection; works great. Cheers, Barry
    cheers