Rigid Osc Belt Sander

Rob Keeble

Hello All

I have seen a number of members have one of these sanders in their shop when I view the shop tours. I first saw the unit in a online video. Thought that it was quiet a neat trade off as a sander.

Then started to research it and have found conflicting views on its performance and reliability.

Can those memebers that have them and use them throw in their 5 cents worth please. Also if you would be so kind as to elaborate on how much and how often you have used it and would you buy it again or what exact problems you had.

Thanks

Attachments

• Rigid Sander.jpg
    Rigid Sander.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 13
Can those memebers that have them and use them throw in their 5 cents worth please. Also if you would be so kind as to elaborate on how much and how often you have used it and would you buy it again or what exact problems you had.
Rob, Good question!

I'd be interested in hearing what owners have to say about it too. An oscillating spindle sander is one of my next shop upgrades. For me the 2 current contenders are the Ridgid (belt & spindle) and Jet's bench top oscillating spindle sander.

One of my requirements is for the table to tilt up to at least 45 deg.
That rules out Delta's benchtop model, and probably a few others too.

I've had one of the Ridgid ones for about half a year now. It hasn't been used heavily, but I've used it for a few things like knife handles and the wavy paper towel holder I posted pics of a while back. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I do recommend one of the crepe rubber sander cleaning sticks. They work as advertised. The dust collection port helps a bit, but it definitely doesn't capture all the dust.

A longer belt would be handy in some cases, but for my limited shop space, it's been ideal. It stores under my bench, and I set it on my table saw to use it. It's light enough to be easy to move, but it's substantial enough to do what I've asked it to do so far. I do like the fact that the case has molded-in slots to store all of the different bits and pieces that go with it. At this point, I'd buy it again.

Offering an Option .......

I have the Porter Cable 121, (Handheld) Portable Oscillating Spindle Sander attached to a plate that fits in my router table. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11068
IF you have a router table, consider the PC, it eliminates another full machine in a crowded shop. I got the 3/8" aluminum plate from Woodpecker's (not sure if they sell them anymore) but any solid router plate could be drilled to fit.

Just an option for consideration............ Tony

OOPS! SORRY, I went back and looked at your pic -- we are talking about different animals here...... Sorry!

Last edited:
I have one also and like it well. A longer belt would be nice but short is better than none. Wood magazine has a review of it and a few neat jigs for it also.

Tom

I've had one for 3 years of heavy use now, including grinding stone with silicone carabide belts. I recommend this machine every chance I get. I mostly use the belt function as opposed to the spindles. Use it on everything from large furniture parts to small jewelry. The belts are standard 4x24 so you can get them anywhere. You can get them up to 320 grit as well. I tend to be more on the artsy side than the cabinet maker side so the sander is a godsend to my small shop. Recently, the oscillating function stopped working. Took it apart and looked at the gearbox, couldn't see anything wrong amongst all the grease, so it put it back together, and it started working again:dunno:. Even if it breaks down at this point, I would go out and buy another. I've really abused the one I have and have got more than my moneys worth out of it. Also, here is a pic of my jerry-rigged dust collection; works great. Cheers, Barry

Attachments

• ridgid sander.jpg
    ridgid sander.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Vaughn

This is just what I was looking for. By the way I think one could always look at mounting it in a flip type of bench in conjunction with some other tool to make it more convenient and save space in a crowded shop. See the pic attached there is a plan available on the wood magazine site.
http://www.woodstore.net/flwoce.html

I've had one of the Ridgid ones for about half a year now. It hasn't been used heavily, but I've used it for a few things like knife handles and the wavy paper towel holder I posted pics of a while back. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I do recommend one of the crepe rubber sander cleaning sticks. They work as advertised. The dust collection port helps a bit, but it definitely doesn't capture all the dust.

A longer belt would be handy in some cases, but for my limited shop space, it's been ideal. It stores under my bench, and I set it on my table saw to use it. It's light enough to be easy to move, but it's substantial enough to do what I've asked it to do so far. I do like the fact that the case has molded-in slots to store all of the different bits and pieces that go with it. At this point, I'd buy it again.

Attachments

• flip top work center.jpg
    flip top work center.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 12
Thanks Tony

This is just what I hoped to hear about as well. I did not even know of this tools existence and I am a PC fan. Have a number of PC tools.

I have the Porter Cable 121, (Handheld) Portable Oscillating Spindle Sander attached to a plate that fits in my router table. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11068
IF you have a router table, consider the PC, it eliminates another full machine in a crowded shop. I got the 3/8" aluminum plate from Woodpecker's (not sure if they sell them anymore) but any solid router plate could be drilled to fit.

Just an option for consideration............ Tony

OOPS! SORRY, I went back and looked at your pic -- we are talking about different animals here...... Sorry!

Tom would you happen to know which issue it was reviewed in. I am a wood subscriber but it would save me going through all the past issues to find it if you know. Everytime I seem to go looking through the past issues for something specific I get distracted and never end up finding what I wanted.

Thanks for the tip and feedback.

I have one also and like it well. A longer belt would be nice but short is better than none. Wood magazine has a review of it and a few neat jigs for it also.

Tom

That does it then I am sold. Now to wait to feast on a HD sale or a gift card or some bonus coupon from them in the mail.

Thanks Barry to sealed the deal.

By the way guys the reviews I read for this were not that positive but I guess some people have unrealistic expectations for a small tool like this. What does one expect for $200 when a real decent sander can cost high hundreds.

I've had one for 3 years of heavy use now, including grinding stone with silicone carabide belts. I recommend this machine every chance I get. I mostly use the belt function as opposed to the spindles. Use it on everything from large furniture parts to small jewelry. The belts are standard 4x24 so you can get them anywhere. You can get them up to 320 grit as well. I tend to be more on the artsy side than the cabinet maker side so the sander is a godsend to my small shop. Recently, the oscillating function stopped working. Took it apart and looked at the gearbox, couldn't see anything wrong amongst all the grease, so it put it back together, and it started working again:dunno:. Even if it breaks down at this point, I would go out and buy another. I've really abused the one I have and have got more than my moneys worth out of it. Also, here is a pic of my jerry-rigged dust collection; works great. Cheers, Barry

Thanks Vaughn

This is just what I was looking for. By the way I think one could always look at mounting it in a flip type of bench in conjunction with some other tool to make it more convenient and save space in a crowded shop. See the pic attached there is a plan available on the wood magazine site.
http://www.woodstore.net/flwoce.html
The flip-top cabinet would work great, although you'd need to have somewhere else to store the loose pieces that are normally stored on the molded case, since they'd all fall out when the sander is turned upside down.

Tom would you happen to know which issue it was reviewed in. I am a wood subscriber but it would save me going through all the past issues to find it if you know. Everytime I seem to go looking through the past issues for something specific I get distracted and never end up finding what I wanted.

Thanks for the tip and feedback.

get on line at wood magazines site they have a index you can search for it there rob.

loose pieces could be anchored with a bungy strap some way possibly or a specail tray for the loos e parts.. oh and renni has one of those flip top setyups witha planer and a mortiser rob look at his clean shop pics,, qick though he doesnt have a clean shop long:)

Last edited:
As Larry said, I found it on wood online as a demo, tried to find it again for a link and could'nt find it, mayby someone else can. Sounds like Barry made up your decision anyway. Get it and you will be happy, for what it's worth, I'd buy it again.

Tom

Rob, I've had one for about a year now. Has held up really well and would recommend it. My first big project with it was the motorcycle rockers for my nephews, edge sanding each of the contoured parts. At 3" thick it never slowed down. Table was true to the sanding surface and wouldn't have been able to complete the project a well as they did without it.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thank you Larry for the great ideas. Have been and tried you index idea but did not see the Rigid listed in any of the results. Oh well guess I will have to just page through good old wood magazines till I find the review. But with what everyone has said I dont know that I will worry.

get on line at wood magazines site they have a index you can search for it there rob.

loose pieces could be anchored with a bungy strap some way possibly or a specail tray for the loos e parts.. oh and renni has one of those flip top setyups witha planer and a mortiser rob look at his clean shop pics,, qick though he doesnt have a clean shop long:)

Hi Rob - I bought one of these last winter. When I researched it most user comments were positive. I wish the platen were longer but other than that I've very happy with it.

I have had the sander for about a year and a half and I quite like it. Having said that, I have really only used the spindles for real work. I did test the belt when I first got it to see that it works, but never since. As Vaughn said, you should use one of the crepe rubber sander cleaning sticks along with it.

Here is a question for everyone with the Ridgid. How do you feel the material support is when using it as a spindle sander with the table tilted?

My main concern is that only half of the table tilts, and I always wondered if that impacted your ability to support your work piece. I'm pretty sure that it shouldn't matter too much if you are using the belt, but the spindle on the other hand looks like it might be a problem.

I have a feeling that if I get one, It will mostly be used as a spindle with the table flat, but I want to make sure it can do a good job when the table is tilted too.

Also is there alot of vibration with this tool? It looks like the base is plastic, and might not absorb the motor vibration that well.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sean, I've not had a need to tilt the table on mine, so I don't have an answer for you on that one.

Regarding the vibration, the first time I turned mine on I was happily surprised to see how smooth and quiet it is.