Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do With $1000?

What Would You Do With $1000?

If you suddenly had $1000 to spend on your shop, what would you buy? I know everyone's needs and wants will be different, but it should be interesting to see what everyone would do with a thousand "found" dollars.

What say you?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'd buy nothing for myself. Instead, I would bless one of my friends, such as Vaughn McMillan, with a needed tool.

Yeah, right. I'd buy myself a BANDSAW!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Id give it to my wife, tell her although I need some upgrading, she deserves the money to spend any way she wants.

(I can wait for a table saw)

You know, I hate to say it, but I've got a pretty full complement of tools at this point. I don't do all that big of projects, so my shop is working pretty well.

There are 2 things that I'd probably like to do.

1) At our old house, I had a subpanel placed in the shop. At the new house we moved to, well, the wiring leaves a lot to be desired. My Tablesaw and Compressor are both wired for 220, and in fact, I'm sharing the dryer outlet with them. If I had a 1000 dollars, I'd probably have a subpanel placed out in the garage, but unfortunately, the wiring in this house is pretty antiquated and that would most likely take more that 1 grand.

2) At this point, the only tool I wished I'd gone bigger on is my little performax 10-20 drum sander. I find it really handy for making cutting boards, making veneers, etc. For pen making and doing things like celtic knots, it helps to match the thickness of the veneer to the thickenss of the blade cut. I'd really like to have gone the next step up on it. so If I did have 1 grand, I'd probably go the next step up on that.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Any found money goes towards maintenance and necessities .... like that stimulus check i got a few months ago bought a new water heater.

I buy tools whenever I want them.

Vaughn, you gotta set priorities!

joe

seriously, i suppose you want an answer, things that spin and things that help things spin and things that make those spinning things change shape have my interest at the moment. WC is going to have a certain lathe on sale in Oct at what I think is a great price.

i`d buy 4 bars of m-2 steel to grind knifes out of.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Wait a sec,

I think i lost my mind.

I'd buy a Real Lathe!

(Although my Jet Mini really is doing quite well for me)
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Well mostly buy wood to work with. There are few small tools I would buy but not much that comes to mind. I need a lower guide and tires for the bandsaw. I would like a good dowel maker of some type. Stock up on some boring items I never have enough of like sandpaper, spare blades, spares of few other items. Yea I am not helping the economy one bit.

OK, just thought of something. if this was free money there are two tools I would probably look for. An old iron OSS and I would probably consider a good belt/disk sander combo. Those are on my list but I am not really looking for one. Just waiting on one be given to me. But if I had free money I would probably shop for one.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Since our shop is now so full that if we buy another machine or tool, we'll have to get rid of something--I think I'd buy wood - something exotic and expensive, and then I'd have to decide what to do with it. But I sure would like having a nice piece of bubinga sitting in the shop--

Barring that, it would have to be a new computer--just for back-up, since all of the current ones (5 of them!!!) are running fine.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I think I'd have to buy some wood carving tools, software that is...the automated kind.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault