Tenon attachment ?

Dan Mosley

Ive have read about and seen video on turners that attach scrap tenon to there work, turn the bowl and trim off the tenon but im not having any sucess at doing it.
Green wood - i have used cyno glue, titebond III, gorilla glue, and a glue gun to attached the tenon (used 2x4 and cut out 2" circles) with the glue and clamp, let dry for a day and they come right off at the joint when start to rough turn. Not sure where im going wrong

One article i read the guy uses scrap plywood and attaches his tenon tha way. Another uses scrap wood like i did and they seem to hold like concrete.

Any thoughts on what i may be doing wrong ? is it the green wood because of moisture content ? or the 2x4 plugs im making ?

In one sense it is not a big deal because i use a supernova II with spigot chuck that really grips well on a small turned tenon but i like being able to understand and use different techniques

Hmm...is the surface on the blank pretty flat? If it's uneven, then it'd be hard to get a good glue joint. If it is even, I think I'd try a harder wood for the tenon. (Is the glue joint failing, or are there traces of the pine 2 x 4 still stuck onto the blank?)

I use glue blocks all the time.

Both mating surfaces MUST BE PERFECTLY FLAT.

I've used dry blocks onto green bowl blanks with success.

I've used face grain block to end grain blanks on the boxes I turn with success.

I use thick CA glue.

BTW - I only use hard wood, not to sure how pine would work

Last edited:
I use glue block also, and have used pine on occasion, but only for light turnings.. if you put a lot of stress on the pine, it will break and separate from your piece. For heavier turnings, you will need hardwood. I prefer to use a wood glue like Titebond for my glue blocks, but CA will work.

Thanks for the information:
the joint fails where it was glued and sometimes it will leave small amounts of the pine from the 2x4.
I have some 2x2 walnut laying around so ill make a new tennon and try using that ....you may be right its just not strong enough
Gluing time - i have put them on overnight and even for a couple days and still ended up with the same problem.
Im thinking that if you have used the method and its working then it has to be the wood (pine) im using so ill try the switch - one video i saw showed the guy using plywood to make tenons so i thought the 2x4 idea of 2" tenons would work........but it hasnt.....thanks and ill let you know