Thread: spray gun question???

spray gun question???

ok i have been at this sprayun thing fer abit but havnt ran into this before..i have some lacquer that i have been told to spray, as is outa the can by the manufacture and others in the know,, what am i doing wrong??/ i get spatter effect rather than a smooth wet coat.. hvlp conversion gun.. do i need to increase the flow of the material because its thicker or increase the fan? the air pressure is maxed already...in the past i have used regular lacq and had it thinned or right out of the can it was thinner than this stuff is.. so my gun was set for that setup and i just tweaked it to get it tuned in. this time i am way out in left field.. the gun is a PC PSH1 and i think the needle is 1.4...in my small pea head it would make sense to make more fluid flow by opening the needle valve more to let it out.. kinda like puttin jam threw or milk// help!!! this is pre cat lacquer.. thansk fer the advice
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

larry, i am definitely not an expert, but if it is thicker, wouldn't you possibly need a bigger tip for the gun. or is it not thick enough to need that.

me and my brother had this problem this past weekend and the only thing that would fix it (since we couldn't try a different tip) was to hold the gun closer and move it slower. not sure if that would help your situation though.

it was an hvlp also, a turbine powered system. not expensive by any means

worth a shot i guess, if you have something to test on

chris

Larry close he fluid valve down then get you a piece cardboard to spray at and adjust the fluid open till you get the spray you want also the atomization pressure should be about 30 psi. You can get to much pressure with a HVLP.

Also if it seems to thick you can thin it with lacquer thinner I did it all the time even when they said not too. I shot a lot of Prue-cad that was thinned.

But note that you can get it to thin and have a whole different problem.
    Jay

thin it larry.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    thin it larry.
    Yup. I don't know of any lacquer that's ready to spray right out of the can.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Exclamation well i tried it agin

and after playun with the gun and tryun what was told of me, i got another heavy coat on sorta, it had a couple dry streaks when i got done.. so i went for ride and came back lightly touch sanded it to get any bumps off and thinned the last shot to aprox 20% or maybe less,, anyway that let me get it on wet like i used to.. still wouldnt want this to be in any show place. its just a eatin spot and will have to do,,, wish i had tod in my back pocket to watch & tell me what the heck i was doin wrong.. i will say this tho its tougher stuff than normal lacquer.. the sanding floated across without gettin much hold like the other does.. so thanks for the help and replies.. the tip appears to be 1.5 rather than a 1.4 i think.
    i hope next time is better, tod if you get in the neighbor hood in the next 5 months stop in...
    Last edited by larry merlau; 09-26-2008 at 12:04 AM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!