Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Marks workshop

David Marks workshop

Hi All,

I am trying to get time to build a new workbench and have a few questions related to that end.

David Marks, on DIY WoodWorks repeats which I watch for the little extras you can catch with repeated watching, has a router built into the side of his tablesaw and uses the fence for both. My question is how does he remove the router easily to change bits and adjust the bit?

On his workbench it looks like he uses a Record type vise with a large wood frame to operate like a twin vise would work.

I know that several forum members have taken instruction from David and I was hoping someone could shed some light on these questions.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Bill
    I don't think that he ever shows how to adjust the bit height on there, he simply uses the tool for the operation, never discusses set up that much.
    -Ned

Hi Ned,

Yes, I agree with that, especially after viewing all seven series several times, some of it in slomo just to be sure of what I am seeing.

That is why I am asking the question here and on the other forum. Someone who has attended his classes at his shop might have had the opportunity to see, in person, how he does it and also can describe the vise arrangement he uses.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

I think... Think mind you that a couple of folks have... what say ye... oh west coasties? Beuhler, anyone, anyone?
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Antonacchio View Post
    ...My question is how does he remove the router easily to change bits and adjust the bit?...
    I have a relatively inexpensive router lift (the Router Raizer) on my TS-mounted router, and I don't need to remove the router from the table to change bits. I've not seen David's setup, but I'd suspect it's something along those lines.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hi Vaughan,

Thanks for the reply, but...

I have VERY carefully looked at the router table and all that I can see is a small plywood insert surrounding the router bit. I found this pic

but even when the camera is shooting straight down it does not appear that there is any opening for a lifter wrench to be inserted. It could be but that is all the more reason why I would like to hear from someone who was there.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Here is another pic from diynetwork...

I realize there are a lot of holes surrounding the zero clearance insert but do you think any of the holes could be for a lifter?
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

I have Never attended a David Marks Seminar, (not that I wouldn't like to), but from looking at the two pics of the insert and table shown in this thread, It "is" possible that one of the holes goes to a lift below, but the holes look VERY similar if not IDENTICAL to one Router Plate that I have that is pre drilled for three or so routers, so my guess is that the round MDF colored insert is easily removable and he just uses a bent wrench, OR puts the router fully up and uses a regular wrench to change the bits.

(This is just a guess, so it will be interesting to see the CORRECT answer from the Horses Mouth when you get it).

who`s david marks?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    who`s david marks?
    He's a Tod Evans wanttobe