Who played the chicken tic tac toe when they ate in chinatown?

I looked foward always in the 60s and 70s when I got into chinatown to go play the chicken, and most people I chat with dont remember the chicken.

sometimes, besides the food, you gotta stop and look around places.
Ofcourse now, I mostly eat, but I still look around.

Growing up in New Mexico, the closest we came to Chinatown in the 60s and 70s was the canned Chung King Chow Mein dinner from the supermarket. :p

:rofl:New Mexico was part of the US back then?

I grew up mainly in Queens and Brooklyn NY, anything west of Paramus NJ was considered uncharted and hostile territory back then.

Last edited:
allen levine;120105I said:
grew up mainly in Queens and Brooklyn NY, anything west of Paramus NJ was considered uncharted and hostile territory back then.
I spent a few years living and working in NJ when I was a young field engineer for a construction company. I was assigned to temporarily help on a power plant (garbage burner) we were building in Babylon, NY (Long Island). I remember clearly to this day the first time I drove over the Verazonno Bridge and took the Belt Pkwy to Babylon. Seeing the burnt out cars on the side of the road, I asked and was told that if your car breaks down and is left overnight, that is what you will find the next day. I am not sure but I believe I thought at the time that it was very hostile territory.:D Of course this was from a young man who was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited:
Well, there's a chinatown here in D.C., just a couple miles away. And one in Frisco, and of course in L.A. But I've never been to one in NYC... ;)

But we never played chicken Tic-tac-toe. What is that, anyway?

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Allen -- I was born in the Bronx, lived in Hempsted then East Northport until the family relocated to Florida when I was 15. Never spent any time in the city, so I never played the chicken tic tac toe, only ate in China town once about 20 yrs ago (Thanksgiving Day dinner !! Loong story :D)

Tony

:rofl:New Mexico was part of the US back then?

Watch it, Allen. Them's fightin' words!! Actually Albuquerque has a decent-sized Chinatown these days - one of the denizens of the Chinese community owned the BEST restaurant in town, and his son has the most snooty upscale photo studio in town.

But you haven't lived until you've been to San Francisco's Chinatown!! It's interesting that most of the housing for the Chinese is underground!!

When you go into a Chinese restaurant, you KNOW it's good when you see a Chinese family eating there--three or four generations.

bill, it still is tough territory.
Its so much easier if you need to get rid of something, like an old junker car, just push it a mile from your house, and in the morning it will be stripped clean like a fresh kill in the jungle.
Its a big city, some things will never change.

nancy, I started the NM thing with my sister when she moved to Albuquerque 10 years ago and became a ballon chaser.
Shed constantly call my wife and tell her to convince me to get out there and go for a ballon ride.
And that was all she had to say to my wife, since my wife doesnt care for heights,nor flying and in order to get her in a ballon, it would have to be unconscience.
but I never went, unfortunately, and her husband got transferred, and they moved.

Years ago, (could be there today, I havent been there in years), there was an arcade in chinatown, right smack in the middle.
And there was a huge wooden/wire cage in front, with a huge tic tac toe board around 2 feet by 2 feet, and the x's and o's had yellow lights in the center of each one.
Once you put the quarter in, a live chicken would peck a square, from his side, and the light would go on,then youd pick a square, and so on.
It was trained, I guess when a light lit, he pecked it and got a treat, but it was something else to play a chicken. (after a little alcohol, youd think the chicken was a genius the way he played)

I checked the internet to see if there are any pics, but it just shows a live chicken in a plexiglass cage with more of an electronic board. My best recollection, is nothing like that. It was a wire and wood cage,(its been 30 some years) I remember visits there in mid to late seventies, when I was a young, thin, full head of hair, bushy sideburns, and single man.

Somewhere, in some old snapshots, I might have a picture of that bird.

Last edited:
bill, it still is tough territory.
Its so much easier if you need to get rid of something, like an old junker car, just push it a mile from your house, and in the morning it will be stripped clean like a fresh kill in the jungle.
Its a big city, some things will never change.

Allen, I would not want it to change at all. I loved the time I spent back your way. Although I lived in New Jersey (yeah, I know how you New Yorkers feel about Jersey) I spent all my weekends in The City (Manhattan). My only experience with large cities up to that point were Seattle and Vancouver, BC. There was no comparison to the excitement and edginess that was New York. I loved it. I only wish that I got out to the other borough's; especially Brooklyn.

The wife would like to visit New York and we will eventually go. I will look forward to seeing old friends and showing her around The City. I will also zip over to Brooklyn to The Tools for Working Wood showroom and hope to meet Joel Moskowitz. The only thing I won't look forward to is the trip to the top of the Empire State building. She will want to go, just like every out of town visitor that came to visit me. I must of vowed after my 100th trip (only a slight exaggeration) to never... ever... go again. But who knows, maybe it will seem like a new thing after all this time.:)

Growing up in New Mexico, the closest we came to Chinatown in the 60s and 70s was the canned Chung King Chow Mein dinner from the supermarket. :p

OH MAN!!!.....with the crispy noodles in the second can....Holy Bean Cheese I loved those crispy noodles. I would add them a little at a time so that they wouldn't get too soggy. MMMMMmmmmmmm......crispy noodles.

Last edited:
OH MAN!!!.....with the crispy noodles in the second can....Holy Crap I loved those crispy noodles. I would add them a little at a time so that they wouldn't get too soggy. MMMMMmmmmmmm......crispy noodles.
My mom loved me and my sisters so much, she'd buy an EXTRA can of the crispy noodles to go with the one in the package (which was never quite enough).

An Allen, I can relate to catching the "balloon chasing" bug. I did it for about 14 or 15 years...ten or so of them were after I moved from Albuquerque to California. I used to go back home every year for the full week of the Balloon Fiesta. One of the best excuses I ever had for getting up before dawn. (I normally don't do mornings all that well.)

You city people work to hard...stripping a car down for parts. :rofl:

Here if a car breaks down and its not fixed in three days time, some scrapper picks the whole car up and hauls it to the junk yard to collect 150 bucks for scrap iron price.

That is tongue in cheek humor actually, but not far from the truth. I got the ex-wifes car out back and some scrappers have stopped in and asked about it. We don't strip cars out here, we just crush the whole things for iron. I guess we are lazy.

Hey Allen -- I was born in the Bronx, lived in Hempsted then East Northport until the family relocated to Florida when I was 15. Never spent any time in the city, so I never played the chicken tic tac toe, only ate in China town once about 20 yrs ago (Thanksgiving Day dinner !! Loong story :D)

Tony
Fa ra ra ra ra raaa......ooops, wrong holiday.:D

Dunno about New York, but the China Town in Vancouver is really large and very neat. My brother is married to a Chinese Canadian gal, and we would go to her uncle's restaurant for dinner, really Chinese food, not the stuff they feed us "Gweilo" :D

When I read the title, I thought you were asking about the song.......

>> China Town Calculation <<

I'm fairly sure not many will know "Doug and the Slugs" :wave: