Second Bowl in progress

Keith Palmer

Here is my second bowl in progress.

I work at Weyerhaeuser's R&D Tech Center as a materials test technician. We manufacture a shear wall for homes out of Timberstrand. Timberstrand is similar to OSB, but it uses a different pressing method and produces a much heavier and evenly dense piece. The walls are 3.5" thick and the last ones we tested were 24" wide and 12' tall.

So I cut some blanks thinking it might make an interesting turning.

If nothing else I can say that the tested material doesn't just get thrown away.

I have finished the outer shape, I just have to turn it around. I have to stay ontop of the sharpening since there is so much resin in the Timberstrand it dulls the edge quickly.

By the way, that is a 1950 vintage shopsmith my grandfather bought new from Montgomery Wards. I did some machine work to remove quill and spline drive setup. I found it chattered too much. So I machined a new shaft with MT2 and 1"x8tpi.

It works wonderfully, I just need a bigger motor now.

Keith

Attachments

• IMG_4298.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4299.JPG
    IMG_4299.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 57
That should look cool when it's finished. I've seen a few pieces done with various types of engineered lumber...I've not seen Timberstrand, though. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished piece.