Thread: Delta/Cresent jointer

Delta/Cresent jointer

hey folks, I have a question... I picked up a long bed 8 incher from a school system in Pa, with cast iron base cabinet. after taking it apart to retigten the screws that worked loose during transport, and to replace some that were missing, I reassmbled it yesterday to find it isn't fitting square oin the base. it can only go onto the base 1 way( 2 bolt slots on 1 end--1 on the other).also the casting seems to not allow the body to lay flat on the base..it's teetering on the bolt slot. didn't notice it while dis-assembling, cuz after the 4 hr trip, everything had worked loose anyway. does anyone know if these bodies laid flat on the cast iron base?

I don't know, but since the tool bolts on, I will guess yes, a consistent attachment was the design. Cast iron is softer than your think.

Wild guess number 1 - Put a shim under one corner or another. The effect is similar to aligning side-by-side refrigerator doors by raising or lowering a corner of the cabinet.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Yep - shimming is the tried and true way to adjust the wedge bed jointers. Hope you have someone to help
    paulh

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I don't know, but since the tool bolts on, I will guess yes, a consistent attachment was the design. Cast iron is softer than your think.

Wild guess number 1 - Put a shim under one corner or another. The effect is similar to aligning side-by-side refrigerator doors by raising or lowering a corner of the cabinet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hubbman View Post
    Yep - shimming is the tried and true way to adjust the wedge bed jointers. Hope you have someone to help
    paulh
    Thank You fellows..I shimmed it with washers.. worked great!!
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

James, congrats on the new old iron, but......you know what they say,

"NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN!"
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website