Cabinet/box/support for a Liegh D4

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
When I purchased my Leigh jig some years ago (got a great deal on a used one:thumb:) I pressed it into service in short order so I never had time to build an appropriate support/storage box for it. I used what I had laying around - some 3/4 ply.
DSC_2930.jpg DSC_2931.jpg DSC_2932.jpg

I have some time while I'm waiting for the church furniture to start (the committee is 'meeting' and no check in the mail yet) so I was looking around for a smallish project to keep me busy :rofl:. My Leigh gets pushed under the TS extension and gets bumped and dusty. It needs a nicer home. I have plenty of wood, so there's no money to be spent.

Here's my criteria:
  1. Not just a box, it has to be a nice looking 'cabinet'.
  2. The jig needs to store inside to keep it clean and out of danger.
  3. It needs to act as a stable support for the jig while in use.
  4. It needs to use wood from my existing supply - walnut, some birch, and a little maple.
  5. Simple - I can't spend weeks of spare time on this - just in case.
Initial thought - a piano-hinged-top box that stores the jig on its side (front clamps down). Perhaps mounted to a board that slides into a dado?

Do any of you have, or know of, such a box? What do you use to support your DT jig?:dunno: Pictures please!:D

Wouldn't you know it....

No sooner did I post my request for ideas on how to design a box for my DT jig than this arrived in my email box. Go figure :rofl:

The project has been approved and the contract signed. I was just waiting for the donor to contribute the money so we can get started. That was done last Sunday. I’ll get both the contract and the check for ½ of the cost in the mail this next week. You can get started any time that fits your schedule.

Well. None the less, the DT jog box will stay on my list of 'things to do' so please post ideas and pictures. I'll catalog them and hold them till time allows.:wave:

So Rennie, isn't that perfect timing? you finish your floor, a couple o weeks rest and there you go again! and this time comissioned and paid for!!

What are you waiting for man? Go get going! I want to hear the sound of your tools from here! and of course see the project posted!:thumb::thumb:

So Rennie, isn't that perfect timing? you finish your floor, a couple o weeks rest and there you go again! and this time comissioned and paid for!!

What are you waiting for man? Go get going! I want to hear the sound of your tools from here! and of course see the project posted!:thumb::thumb:
Thanks Toni! I've set up a picture site for progress shots that I'll be making available to the church so they can see how things are going. I'll be sure to post pictures here as well.