Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB - Carved dove

WTB - Carved dove

I know a few of you out there have CNC or laser machines, or have friends that do. For the chancel furniture I'm building I need a carved dove. Nothing super special or detailed. The shape should be something like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pulpit 001 cropped.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	24204

The size is approximately 11" wing tip to wing tip. I'd like it to have more character than just the flat board as shown above. Something like this perhaps (detail, not shape)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carved Dove cropped.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	24205

Please PM me with any information, contacts, etc.

Mods: I believe I am working within the CoC for this forum. If you believe otherwise please feel free to pull the post and contact me. I will be happy to revise or rescind.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

But Rennie, that's a bandsaw and a chisel... and maybe a chance to acquire a new skill... or a new tool, like a dremel...

Are you sure you want to outsource?

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    But Rennie, that's a bandsaw and a chisel... and maybe a chance to acquire a new skill... or a new tool, like a dremel...

Are you sure you want to outsource?

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill, I wear a beard to hide the scars from me missing my mouth with the fork.

I've never tried carving, might some day, but not on a commissioned piece that will be seen by a couple of hundred people every Sunday. To quote Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations."

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I Agree

Rennie yu can do the bottom one without any trouble.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Rennie yu can do the bottom one without any trouble.
    But, I'm a butcher, not a carver! (to paraphrase Dr. McCoy)

www.wrworkshop.com

Look at it agin

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    But, I'm a butcher, not a carver! (to paraphrase Dr. McCoy)
    that bottom bird is 4 pieces not one. it has been put togehter,, so if you take it apart and make one section at a time and then you got your own bird.

Well Rennie, I do not have any of those machines that you mention but as my wrists seem to be healing I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
    The only problem is that maybe I can't find here the wood you want it made from. If any wood fits I can make it out of basswood (I think that's the english name)

Here's the deal, I'll make it the best I can, if you like it you take it for the shipping, if not it will have helped me to brush up my carving technique so long neglected
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Well Rennie, I do not have any of those machines that you mention but as my wrists seem to be healing I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
    The only problem is that maybe I can't find here the wood you want it made from. If any wood fits I can make it out of basswood (I think that's the english name)

Here's the deal, I'll make it the best I can, if you like it you take it for the shipping, if not it will have helped me to brush up my carving technique so long neglected
    Toni shame on you,, havnt we had this conversation before on here your not chargin enuff and besides this is rennie yur dealin with

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    Toni shame on you,, havnt we had this conversation before on here your not chargin enuff and besides this is rennie yur dealin with
    Well Larry, You don't know how expensive is Spanish Mail service do you?

Besides, Rennie looks like a trustfull fellow, maybe you know him better that I do
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 09-27-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: forgot to put a word
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post

Toni,

You honor me, and you are most generous. Having seen some of your work here on the forum I know you to be a true master carver. But you are correct, the shipping is rather expensive.

I did a quick check on FedEx and a 3 lb package would cost about $111 US. Is there a cheaper way to ship? I tried the UPS site but there is something wrong with the international quote page.

www.wrworkshop.com