Thread: Woodworker II

Talking Woodworker II

I finally put my WWII (that I bought way back when...) on my saw today, didn't cut much of anything with it, but it sure does a nice job. I ripped a piece of 5/4 cherry, as well as some 8/4 mahagony, and 3/4 in maple. Didn't even breathe hard on any of them.
    -Ned

Ned
    *Don't you love it when a plan starts coming together...

Garry

*quote from the "A TEAM" of memory serves correctly.

Ned,

It made a huge difference when I first put that blade on my saw! You'll love it!

The only problem: I keep switching it out with a much cheaper one when I'm doing things like ripping 2x4s. I'm just too careful with it... and I always feel silly treating a sawblade as a delicate instrument that needs protection...

Didya get the thin kerf?

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    Ned
    *Don't you love it when a plan starts coming together...

Garry

*quote from the "A TEAM" of memory serves correctly.
    I think you're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Ned,

It made a huge difference when I first put that blade on my saw! You'll love it!

The only problem: I keep switching it out with a much cheaper one when I'm doing things like ripping 2x4s. I'm just too careful with it... and I always feel silly treating a sawblade as a delicate instrument that needs protection...

Didya get the thin kerf?

Thanks,

Bill
    I got the regular blade, not the thin kerf, for me I don't rip enough stock to make a difference. It is in addition to the CMT cabinet shop blade, and the stock Ridgid blade. If I'm cutting anything that rough I might swap out for the stock blade, but most of my stock is decent so I'll probably leave it on 95% of the time.
    -Ned

Mine rarely comes off. If I'm ripping a lot of something thick I might put on a 24 tooth rip blade. And today it came off to cut a bunch of plywood--with my Forrest plywood blade. They are expensive but worth the cost.

When it was time to have my WWII sharpened I decided to buy an inexpensive (i.e. about $40 range) backup blade. I'd read good things about the 40 tooth Delta blade that used to be a DeWalt. The difference was so big I decided something must have been wrong so I exchanged it for another and got the same results. Then I tried an Amana that was a little better but not much. Finally I tried a little more expensive Amana that was pretty good but still no match for the Forrest. I even tried all the blades on a friends saw thinking there might be something about my saw. And I tried his Freud Fusion blade. Someday when I have a little extra cash and the Forrest blades are on sale, I'll pick up another.