Another Family Visit !

Don Orr

I had a real nice day in the shop thanks to a great visit from a couple of Family members. Ned Bulken and Mark Kosmowski came for the day to work on their turning skills. Mark brought his lovely, and very funny, wife Liz too. Mark wanted to work on bowl turning so we set him up on my big Jet and Ned wanted to work on pens so we set him up on the Jet mini. We started off with some general sharpening. I got Ned started cutting, drilling and gluing pen blanks while I worked with Mark getting started on a bowl. They both picked up the tecniques very quickly and it was a lot of fun. We took a short break for a rest and some lunch-thanks Liz !Mark's first bowl came out very nicely as did Ned's first pen. Ned got a second pen done, and Mark even tried his hand at pen turning and completed his first also. I hope they had as much fun as I did.:thumb:

Attachments

• Mark turning.jpg
    Mark turning.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Ned Turning.jpg
    Ned Turning.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Neds first pen.jpg
    Neds first pen.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 51
  • First pens.jpg
    First pens.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Marks bowl color.jpg
    Marks bowl color.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 53
Man, you guys are having WAY too much fun........... not :D :thumb:

Way to go Don, we have just about made sure that Ned will NEVER finish that workshop of his :wave:

Don, Ned and Mark looks like you guys had a ball. Congrats on the bowl and pens. Well done.
Thanks Bernie, for my part the pens were fun, if a bit frustrating. I blew one blank out, but we salvaged the tube and I'll try and re-use it for another pen at some point.
Looks like a good time.

Way to go, Don. :thumb: Keep sinking that hook deeper and deeper. :rofl:

Nice job on the pens and bowl, gents.
I keep trying to jump the line, but it isn't working!

Sounds like a great day. Love those smiles in the pictures.
Thanks Frank!
Man, you guys are having WAY too much fun........... not :D :thumb:

Way to go Don, we have just about made sure that Ned will NEVER finish that workshop of his :wave:

Simply a matter of economics at this point Stu, I'll finish when I scrape the cash together to buy the supplies. In the meantime, I've got a bunch of stuff in the works, just a matter of time in the shop.

I thought I was doing pretty well at self control... the lathe is under the bench, not mounted on it.

Ned & Mark welcome to the dark side we have more fun then flat workers also

I can just picture it now this is soon to be our new turners.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

funny-pictures-polite-woodchuck.jpg

Sorry guys Vaughn & Stu made me do it. :D

Ned & Mark welcome to the dark side we have more fun then flat workers also

I can just picture it now this is soon to be our new turners.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

funny-pictures-polite-woodchuck.jpg

Sorry guys Vaughn & Stu made me do it. :D

I don't believe it for a minute...

yeah, I do, too funny!
spaltedpen.jpg
Here's a close up of the spalted maple pen I turned... slimline, kit from woodcraft.
spaltedtearout.jpg

same pen, other side... note tear out... I'm debating whether or not to fix that, as I'm going to keep this one for myself awhile. It doesn't bother me too much, but just enough that I'm thinking about it... of course then it becomes how to fix it... glue and sawdust, epoxy and be done with it? I'm leaning towards glue and sawdust at the moment if I bother to fix it.