Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Highway Art Festival - My first show!

Lincoln Highway Art Festival - My first show!

Yesterday morning the LOML, Paige, and I heard the alarm at 4:30am. Our daughter decided to wake up at 5am and my MIL arrived at 5:30. A quick and dark 2hrs later we were checking into my first art show in Mt. Vernon, IA. After setting up the tent and tables, Paige started cutting the fabric for the table clothes. (probably should have done this before,) As I took out my bowls and other turned items, she set up what I think was a great display. (see pics below).

The show started at 9am and within 10 minutes a very nice lady stopped by and said she loved everything and would be back shortly to make some purchases. 10 minutes later she was back and bought a large bowl and a couple small ones. 30 minutes later someone bought one of my most expensive bowls. .....then lots of oohs and awes, but no sales until the last hour of the show when 2 more items sold. All told 7 pieces sold and we paid for our entry fee many times over!! It was great to have people other than friends and family (you all included) compliment my work. I was nervous no one would like it...but my friends and family (you all again too) helped me with encouragment and "atta boys" Thanks for that! I do have to say the best part of the show was spending an entire day with my wife without any distractions...Hope I don't bore you all with pics and my long winded post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20080927_0003.jpg   20080927_0004.jpg   20080927_0005.jpg   20080927_0006.jpg   20080927_0007.jpg  

20080927_0008.jpg   20080927_0009.jpg   20080927_0010.jpg   20080927_0002.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff that is a very nice setup. Sounds like you did well for your first show. Looks like you and the family did a fine job on the setup.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is awesome Jeff, congrats!

What? No booth bunny pics?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Way to go, Jeff. Nice-looking display, and I'm glad to see you had some sales.
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 09-29-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Fixxing Vaughn's "Clap" problem......
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks and sounds great Jeff!

I can imagine that is such a great feeling to have others fork over hard earned money for your hard work
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Well done!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    What? No booth bunny pics?
    Darren, if you look at the 3rd picture in the upper left hand corner you catch a glimpse of the LOML...I couldn't get here to pose for a pic with the booth.

Thanks for all the well wishes, we had a great time and met some great people too. A local gallery that is being reworked currently asked me to put some pieces in their space after the renovation is complete as well. Many others took cards and said they would be in touch for x-mas gifts as well. Funny thing is that most of the pieces that I thought for sure would sell didn't, and some that I almost didn't bring did!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    . Funny thing is that most of the pieces that I thought for sure would sell didn't, and some that I almost didn't bring did!
    It is always hard to figure out the buying public. About the time you think you got it down, it all changes.
    Nice showing Jeff .

Mark

Jeff,

Congrats on the show. Sales, gallery contacts, sounds like you did OK for your first time. Now it's time to replenish your inventory.

Ken Easley
    Phoenix

Well done, Jeff. The booth set up looks nice and so do the bowls and things.