Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: almost criminal

almost criminal

The event we went to this past weekend found us sitting around a nice campfire chatting with friends in the evenings. One night, the lady, and her husband, sitting next to me said they were woodcarvers. We started talking about different woods. She mentioned that her father in Kansas cut and sold Osage Orange as FIREWOOD. I nearly had kinipshins when I heered that. But, apparently OO is so common around there that burning is just a way to get rid of it. Too far to economically haul back here but someone could sure make some bucks selling bowl blanks and bow staves. Then, to top it, my friend, who is the unofficial supplier of wood for the fire, said he was burning WALNUT. I had another kinipshins fit over that. This isn't new to me as I know walnut is fairly common around here and lots of folks burn it. Still seems like a near crime to me.

Frank,
    I feel your pain, often I drive down the road around here and smell cherry burning away merrily in someone's woodstove.
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    We started talking about different woods. She mentioned that her father in Kansas cut and sold Osage Orange as FIREWOOD. I nearly had kinipshins when I heered that. But, apparently OO is so common around there that burning is just a way to get rid of it. Too far to economically haul back here but someone could sure make some bucks selling bowl blanks and bow staves. Then, to top it, my friend, who is the unofficial supplier of wood for the fire, said he was burning WALNUT. I had another kinipshins fit over that. This isn't new to me as I know walnut is fairly common around here and lots of folks burn it. Still seems like a near crime to me.
    Frank, my parents live in KS and many of my dad's turnings are from OO. It's called hedge there. Almost considered a weed it's so plentiful. It is sold and given away as firewood as well.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Frank, my parents live in KS and many of my dad's turnings are from OO. It's called hedge there. Almost considered a weed it's so plentiful. It is sold and given away as firewood as well.
    Yep. "Hedge" is one of it's many names. So called because it was planted to divide pastures without fence. Now, farmers and ranchers want to utilize every square inch of land, called 'clean' farming and are clearing off all vegetation, including the old 'hedge' trees.

I'm just a city boy, but if they clear off all of the vegetation, won't that lead to another dust bowl?
    -Ned

I understand that wood is a renewable resource. And, in different regions, whatever is commonly available ends up as firewood. Around me, oak and hickory are the common firewoods. For folks who have only woods like pine or aspen around them, oak and hickory would be highly desirable for both flat work and turning.
    Still, I hate seeing all that OO going up in smoke.

Frank
    I used to haul large truck loads of split walnut from Kansas to Red Rock Co. and then bring loads of split Apple back. Also we use to cut a load of Hedge for a local Dr in Junction City Ks he liked the way it popped and crackled in his fire place and just had to have it for his Christmas fire. He was a lucky one as he never burned his house down with it. It does make one HOT fire and likes to throw hot cinders on the carpet.
    Jay

I burn mostly cherry and maple. Walnut doesn not do as good for heat.

if you saw the maple scraps I burn you would kill me. I saw a piece of my firewood at a woodworking show with a price tag of $25 on it.