Tod's Shop Pics - New Thread

thanks ya`ll! you`re lookin` at my lifes work.....now for answers:)
stu,
yes the sander is homemade i had issues with killing the store boughts, even an older delta with a 3hp shaper motor...this one has dodge pillow blocks and an old alice-chalmers 5hp motor....

joe, the maid analogy is close....i`ve had one of the framers flunkies helpin` so one of his duties is to clean.....:D

jim,
i`ll be here all day and you`ve got my cell....

brian,
the guys at minimax get treated just like ya`ll or any friend.

frank,
i wouldn`t know how to draw up a floor plan on the computer if you offered me money:confused: ......sorry...the building is 40x100 with 20 ft off the end for office-n-showroom.

paul,
you`re always welcome to stop by and use any piece i have.....sorry `bout the drive.

cecil,
there`s lotsa years of labor tied up there! believe me when i say that i look forward to the day i choose to downsize and build what i feel like instead of what other folks want:cool:

mark,
the ras has a 5hp motor, thanks!

ian,
yeah it stays pretty dusty here:D the building is 4k ft. sitting on 2-1/2 acres outside the city limits,(no zoning regs!)
1) the green machine is an old cutterhead grinder that i converted to a profile grinder.
2)the vacuum set up is a tripple venturi unit backed up by a small diaphram pump. the bags are 6x16--4x8 (2)-- and a 2x24 ft stair bag. yes i pull vacuum to a few parts of the shop to use for holddown fixtures.
3) the pin router is a rehab project...9hp main motor, its own vacuum pump&power feed...picked it up for 1k delivered but the electrics need work. it has oil mist spindle lubrication which was a 2500$ option when it was new, all the motors fire up but the vacuum pump needs new rings......maybe this summer?
4)the ol` delta saw is a 7-1/2 hp unit with a 1 hp feeder.
5)the shaper, (spindle moulder) does have a cast iron sliding table for tennoning work, if i have some time today i`ll switch it around and take pictures. it`ll take a 12" diameter cutter in the table!:eek:
6) the scroll saw just landed there last time it was used:eek:

now i need to read last nights postings so i can get to work.....thanks ya`ll!

tod

frank,
i wouldn`t know how to draw up a floor plan on the computer if you offered me money:confused: ......sorry...the building is 40x100 with 20 ft off the end for office-n-showroom.
WOW, a shop in the same league as that being built by Marty! The floor plan doesn't have to be on a computer. If you have it on paper, just take a photo or have someone scan the drawing for you. I have done that both with plans and with layouts that I have posted on the internet.

WOW, a shop in the same league as that being built by Marty! The floor plan doesn't have to be on a computer. If you have it on paper, just take a photo or have someone scan the drawing for you. I have done that both with plans and with layouts that I have posted on the internet.

Frank,

I'm flattered that you put my shop in the same league as tod's. I might have almost the same space he has..but...I can only dream of one day having the equipment and TALENT he has.

Humbled...
- Marty -

Frank,

I'm flattered that you put my shop in the same league as tod's. I might have almost the same space he has..but...I can only dream of one day having the equipment and TALENT he has.

Humbled...
- Marty -
Well you Marty, you certainly made a good start at getting a bit of equipment that is in the same league. And, since Tod went to your place to help, I can only assume that you have learned from him and, thus, made a start at picking up a bit of his talent.

these are for ian, shaper or spindle moulder shots, the first few have an 8-1/2" dia. panel raiser installed, the grooving disc is 200mm, a little under 8", max tooling dia. is 350mm or 12" ish......the tennoning table is cast iron riding on hsk linear bearings with 24" of travel, tennoning fence extends to a little over 8`and swings to 45deg....tod

MVC-023S.JPG

MVC-024S.JPG

MVC-025S.JPG

MVC-026S.JPG

MVC-027S.JPG

MVC-028S.JPG

MVC-029S.JPG

MVC-030S.JPG

MVC-031S.JPG

Now that's a shaper!! I got a kick out of the warning sticker on the cutter shroud that shows losing finger tips. I'd be amazed if that's all one lost if they ever came into contact with the the cutter.

Impressive shop there Tod. It just reinforces how much effort you put into cutting out the amount of labor involved in your production processes.

Thanks for sharing.

Matt

Thats a very interesting setup on the shaper. I was expecting to see the sliding table rail move around to the front of the machine rather than the cutting path be rotated 90 degrees by simply turning the guarding around. Really clever way to get two functions from one machine in the least space. At least that fills my "learning new stuff" quota for the day.

incredible shop tod. i think i would get lost in that much space. but it looks like you fill it out nicely. i think i saw 2 MM bandsaws in there. was i seeing things?

thanks for sharing. this gives me inspiration for my future shop.

chris

yes chris i have a 16 and a 28 for bandsaws, the 16 is used for my scroller and to haul out on the occasional install..a little bit heavier than the old 14" delta i used to install with but well worth the trouble if a fellow has a big job going...tod

Tod,
All I can say is WOW. I knew from conversation with you and Marty that your setup was impressive, but that is truely a shop. It is still to clean for me, Marty is a professional organizer and he may be available for duty as I think he is getting tired and Denise is out of town.

I need to talk my ole travellin buddy Larry Merlau into a road trip sometime to see that impressive shop tod. You boys got anything against a couple of rednecks from up north coming down that way? I'm done taking ship cruises to the caribbean, I told my wife it's time to see this great country of ours instead.

Steve,
Do not I repeat do not go to Tod's shop. It is the things that you do not see that will make you regret your trip. Sure the shop has a lot of nice equipment but once you get there and see some of his work. You will be ready to sell your tools and take up knitting.;)

Tod has a great shop and lots of neat stuff but he is an excellent craftsman and a great host. He welcomed me and my family and my wife wants to take another trip up there to visit. She keeps calling him the "Mountian Home Man"....

Greg

Gregory, I went to a guys shop here in Michigan like tod's (PapaBear woodworks) that left me wondering why I even bother. Just about made me want to sell all my tools and buy another antique tractor to restore.

Great shop tour, Tod. Unlike the others, I'm not the least bit intimidated by the size of your shop,:rolleyes: .....after all, it's only 8' wider than mine is long, and 75' longer than mine is wide. (not much bigger if you say it fast, eh?):rolleyes: :D I sure give you credit though for doing your full share to support my favorite Tool Mfr, 'cause you've sure got a lot more'n my measly two, and 'cept for that little MM16, they're all bigger'n mine.:( I am really impressed with your homebuilt radial arm saw and I'll bet it gets a lot of use with that dado head. I'm not a professional machinist, but I've built several shop tools of different kinds over the years, and I'm always impressed when someone has a need for a job specific tool, and makes one to fit their own needs.:thumb:

Are all the curved pieces stacked up and hanging on the wall for furniture, window trim, or............?

Thanks again for the tour.

PS: I love the room you have, but I'm sure glad I don't have to sweep a shop that size anymore.:D

Last edited:
steve, you`re more than welcome to stop by just let me know when and i`ll load the fridge.....i don`t drink anywhere near like i used to but i`d be proud to pop a top or 3........greg, ya`ll are welcome back any time, now that ya` know the way just drop in....norman, the curved stuff is both trim and furniture parts......kinda my bread-n-butter `cause not everybody does curved stuff:) ...as for the homemade tools my dad used to say "poor folks got poor ways" so if i need something and cant afford it i build it...thanks, ya`ll! tod

...as for the homemade tools my dad used to say "poor folks got poor ways" so if i need something and cant afford it i build it...thanks, ya`ll! tod

Our Dads must have been closely related, because I was brought up with the exact same saying and outlook. I think I was about 8 when my dad and I built our first table saw. I think we boys were taught to work and think a lot younger back then than most kids these days, especially if you were from a small town in the sticks.:D