Tod's Shop Pics - New Thread

Our Dads must have been closely related,

Your dads and my aunt...I can remember her using that saying a lot. She is gone now, but I still remember her smoking a corn cob pipe saying that line.

I can't remember my dad saying that but I do know that if something on the farm needed fixin....we fixed it. We had a large scrap iron pile next to the shop that made many "contributions" to fixing a piece of equiptment.

Sorry for hijacking the thread tod.

ain`t no hijack! it`s good to know that folks are still building what they need instead of buying something to make do.....

I have seen it in person twice. Everything about the shop is definately WOW! qualified. From the huge multi-horsepower motors that run the stuff to the description of the electrical service needed to run them and the shaper cutters that require two hands to hold. Wow is only a beginning when you start looking at some of the custom work he turns out. Then I go back to my little, budget designed shop and cry. :thumb:

no reason to cry frank! and thanks jason-n-bruce.....
frank, i started out trimmin` houses out of the back seat of a car, couldn`t even afford a pick-up.......then my garage was my shop.......then a friends basement.......get the picture?;) ........long hours, lotsa hard work and sacrifice in fact i`m still working toward my dream of being able to build what i like instead of what pays but it`s a few years away........
thanks again guys! tod

no reason to cry frank! and thanks jason-n-bruce.....
frank, i started out trimmin` houses out of the back seat of a car, couldn`t even afford a pick-up.......then my garage was my shop.......then a friends basement.......get the picture?;) ........long hours, lotsa hard work and sacrifice in fact i`m still working toward my dream of being able to build what i like instead of what pays but it`s a few years away........
thanks again guys! tod

Didja see the wink? I admire your shop but don't feel the tiniest bit bad about mine. You are a professional, I use mine for enjoyment and make a few dollars as a sideline. I spent four hours making dust this afternoon. All the MMs and PMs and Greens in the world couldn't have given me more enjoyment. I gots what I gots and I like it. One day you will probably sell your stuff and replace with closer to what I have just to keep up the fun part. I ain't reallly cryin'. :)

in fact i`m still working toward my dream of being able to build what i like instead of what pays but it`s a few years away........
thanks again guys! tod

ok tod....ya kinda set this one up.....what is it you dream of building. so far i've seen some pretty cool things that have come from your hard work and skill, do you dream of better things or just more of those really awesome projects? please indulge (of course if ya don't wanna that's fine too...i seem to remember you mentioning you own a big Browning :eek: so i won't push ya :D )

chris

chris, i`d like to bounce between period reproductions (18th century) and some modern curved-n-carved pieces i`ve been building in my head for years...

doug, i`ll build anything outta wood for money:D ...i wholesale radiused mouldings, do custom work for builders and build furniture.....
yup it`s a small jlt clamp rack.
thanks! tod

Tod, you've got a large pile of serious equipment and investment no doubt. It, and you. have to do a lot of work to make it pay, let alone make a living. I don't think I recall you mentioning if you mostly work alone, excluding your '4-legged assistant' of course, or have others working with/ for you.
Gotta say that I am really impressed by the work that I see on your website.

rick, it`s me and the dogs 99% of the time.....on rare occasions the wife or kids will come help me with heavy stuff.....and the job i`m doing now has disposable laborors i can grab if necessarry..but having other bodys in the shop really slows me down just due to the questions....my web site hasn`t been updated for quite a few years, it`s only a sales tool i show to folks i meet face to face some of the stuff i`ve done.....thanks for the compliments! tod

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I only just got here...

What a stunning shop, Tod!

Looking at your photos, I assumed that you were running a medium-sized production operation with maybe a dozen guys on the floor, a couple of salesmen on the road, and a blonde behind a desk painting her nails.

Then I get to your last post and find out that you work on your own!

There's some great looking stuff on your website; I can't imagine how you organise your time in order to do everything yourself, then deliver and install it as well! I work with another maker, and as soon as a piece is assembled it goes to Paul the finisher, who gets to work with the sandpaper. Then a fitter does the installation. Tod, you have my utmost respect!

The only thing you don't have a lot of is headroom. Do you knock a lot of light fittings out?;)

Cheers
Brad

thanks brad!
yes i do on occasion knock out bulbs:eek: .....but i`ve been working in this enviornment long enough that i know how to swing boards with minimal damage. as to organizing my time? heck man i like what i do and when that`s the case it`s no longer work.....tod

another observer up close and personal

well like some have said you only see the cover of a encyclopedia of info..in his shop. and i am amazed to see it clean it was definalty used when i was there.. for those who think you should go to knitting i disagree... for one main reason he is a heck of an inspiration.. if we the liitle guys all threw in the towel when we saw the red coats cumin we would be drinkiun tea everyday.. tod isnt that way he is one heck of nice guy with loads in expeirnce and is willing to share... we all can learn more each day and tod is stillearnun too just ask him,,,and one of his punch lines "is its just a piece of wood" his make it to work engineering was the most amazing thing i saw.. if its possibly to be made he can do it.. thansk tod for the wonderful hospitallity and the second clean shop tour.. and mr ash your ticket is already bought for you:thumb: :D

oh and brad he has plenty of head room its wide open on top:) one fer me tod:)

Last edited:
Hi Brad, thanks fro bringing this back up! I had a chance to visit Tod a while back. Super fellow and great operation!

Tod, after re-reading through some of this, I appreciate the posts on how you got started! I'm working out of my garage now, so maybe there's hope after all!

I've seen the shop. For a neophyte like me, it is an overload experience. I didn't even know equipment like he has existed.
Tod, howzabout posting a picture of one of your shaper cutters? Now, those are real "Ohmigosh" :eek: things for a home hobbyist to see.