Here is a wall unit that I finished up this past spring, but haven't had the time to post it up on the forum because we don't have a digital camera so I had to wait till I could borrow one. The wall unit is the whole length of our living room on the west wall. When we moved into our new house we realized that we would like to do something inside the house to make it look different then all the other houses on the street. It's a new subdivision and most of the houses are identical outside, and besides I don't have a passion to do landscaping.
The construction started last fall on the wall by picking a colour that the wife thought would be suitable. I think it actually looks good with the dark stain colour of the wall unit. I first built the window seat and then the bookcases on the sides. Since I was doing this project over the winter we decided on a water base stain. The window seat has a lift up top and is constructed mostly of plywood. The front is frame and panel using pocket screw joinery. (Not my favourite.)
The next step was to make a base for the book shelves to sit on. The two tall bookcases were constructed next and then installed. They are firmly anchored to the wall into the studs. The smaller bookcases came next. This is the first large project that my measurement actually worked. There is roughly a 1/8" gap between the wall and the two end bookcases.
The baseboard trim was constructed last and finished before installation. It was then nailed to the base and the nails can't be seen unless you are really looking for them.
We find this unit makes the living room take on more character then just a plain bare wall. Each section is roughly 6 feet in length. The tall bookcases are 74" in height and the shorter ones are half of that.
I am interested in your comments to make myself a better woodworker.