Thread: I need help with the next tool purchase

I need help with the next tool purchase

I have a good delimma, I can't decide on my next LN tool. Here are my varied choices:

LN #7 - I have an older Stanley the mouth is not adjustable and tends to tearout so I'd like to replace that.

Small or Med Scraper plane.

LN #5 - Again I have an older Stanley that works ok but I like the heft of the LN and the adjustable frog.

Pretty much all of my work is medium sized furniture pieces (tables, book shelves etc.)

I have the 4 1/2 that I love for smoothing, the 60 1/2 R for edge work, and the LA Jack with 2 blades.

So what planes do you guys get the most use out of?

mike the two planes i keep in my top bench drawer are a low angle block and a rabbiting plane......next used for me is a 4-1/2 then an 8......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Tod - For the Rabbet plane are you refering to 60 1/2R or the smaller rabbet planes that trim the sides of the dados?

mike, the one i find myself using more than any others i own is an old stanley 93.....if i need bigger i use a record 073.....the ol` 140 i have actually gets very little use........i don`t own any of the l/n planes yet.....i`m kinda fond of the antiques....tod

Thanks. I have the LN version - large shoulder plane. I use it a lot as well but mostly for tenon work. I'm very fond of the LN tools.

mike, they make very nice tools! i`ve only driven one of the #4`s in bronze and it was sweet! are you surfacing by hand? if so i`d grab either a 7 or an 8.....i like the extra width of an 8 myself........if you`re using highly figured stock or doing veneer work a scraper might be in order....let us know what you decide.....tod

I rough joint and thickness plane with a jointer and planer (electron type). then I smooth with the 4 1/2. For table tops etc. I usually need to run the #7 to get all the boards matched up flat. I normally don't use a press to keep them flat during glue ups. I also use my #7 and LA Jack for edge jointing prior to glue ups to get matched edges.

OK got to ask this. Are you sure they are not adjustable? I am not that familiar with all the Stanley types but most of the mouth can be tightened up by loosening two screws and moving the whole body forward or backwards.

Jeff - true statement. The frog can slide forward but it appears the the mouth may have been widened at some point in the past 100 years.

What I have done is moved the frog to the most forward position and there is still 1/16 or more opening.

Mike