Thread: double sticky tape?

double sticky tape?

I have never used double-sided sticky tape for turning. May start as a wood saving measure. The question is: is the stuff sold by our wood working/turning supply catalog companies better/stronger than ordinary carpet tape? I can buy the carpet stuff locally and reasonably. The catalog stuff is a bit more expensive and involves shipping charges.
    What say the jury?

I have used both and the "Turning Tape", when applied correctly, ie - after applying and attaching both pieces of wood together, clamp tightly for a while, is the best by far. The tape is "Pressure sensitivity" and this clamping is necessary for it to hold well.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

I found by watching some of the professionals they said they use "Carpet tape"
    cause it's cheaper & has better holding force. I tried it & it worked great. I haven't tried any of the turning tape though cause it was $16 for 1 roll of 1" & the carpet tape was about half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Beland View Post
    I found by watching some of the professionals they said they use "Carpet tape"
    cause it's cheaper & has better holding force. I tried it & it worked great. I haven't tried any of the turning tape though cause it was $16 for 1 roll of 1" & the carpet tape was about half the price.
    Oops! Now, we have a debate going.
    Great!
    Actually, I would appreciate more input before I have to spend my own money answering this question.

Frank,
    This is the type I was going to use.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=390

I can';t find it on the borgs web site but it was a similar type for $6 a roll same size & footage.

Frank when I use double sided tape which isn't very often I use carpet tape. I have never used the tape they sell at woodturners stores as it is just way to expensive.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've never used D.S. tape for turning, but I have used it for attaching templates to a work piece for routering or shaping. The tape I used was carpet tape, only because I have had a roll here for years and I hate to waste it. I gotta' say that getting the two pieces apart after shaping was a bear of a job, and I can see how it would work well for turning. The only thing I didn't like about it was the little cloth strands that stayed on one piece that had to be pulled off one at a time.

cheers eh?

John

In the Trent Bosch demo he used carpet tape.
    "Small Change got rained on with his own 38"

Tom Waits

OK, looks like carpet tape is the way to go. Considering I'm on an 'off' cycle with my 'on again, off again' love/hate affair with bowl gouges, I'll experiment on a funneled bowl I started some time ago.

I just used ACE brand DST from ACE Hardware. The bowl was 6" at the base & somewhere between 6" & 7" finished at its largest point. I don't think I would go much larger unless it was more of a flat shallow light weight turning.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart