double sticky tape?

Frank Fusco

I have never used double-sided sticky tape for turning. May start as a wood saving measure. The question is: is the stuff sold by our wood working/turning supply catalog companies better/stronger than ordinary carpet tape? I can buy the carpet stuff locally and reasonably. The catalog stuff is a bit more expensive and involves shipping charges.
What say the jury?

I have used both and the "Turning Tape", when applied correctly, ie - after applying and attaching both pieces of wood together, clamp tightly for a while, is the best by far. The tape is "Pressure sensitivity" and this clamping is necessary for it to hold well.

Bruce

I found by watching some of the professionals they said they use "Carpet tape"
cause it's cheaper & has better holding force. I tried it & it worked great. I haven't tried any of the turning tape though cause it was $16 for 1 roll of 1" & the carpet tape was about half the price.

I found by watching some of the professionals they said they use "Carpet tape"
cause it's cheaper & has better holding force. I tried it & it worked great. I haven't tried any of the turning tape though cause it was $16 for 1 roll of 1" & the carpet tape was about half the price.

Oops! Now, we have a debate going.
Great! :clap:
Actually, I would appreciate more input before I have to spend my own money answering this question. ;)

Frank when I use double sided tape which isn't very often I use carpet tape. I have never used the tape they sell at woodturners stores as it is just way to expensive.

I've never used D.S. tape for turning, but I have used it for attaching templates to a work piece for routering or shaping. The tape I used was carpet tape, only because I have had a roll here for years and I hate to waste it. I gotta' say that getting the two pieces apart after shaping was a bear of a job, and I can see how it would work well for turning. The only thing I didn't like about it was the little cloth strands that stayed on one piece that had to be pulled off one at a time.

cheers eh?

John

OK, looks like carpet tape is the way to go. Considering I'm on an 'off' cycle with my 'on again, off again' love/hate affair with bowl gouges, I'll experiment on a funneled bowl I started some time ago.