Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasons!

Reasons!

Well i know a few of you folk think that all i am is big ole country hick that doesnt do much but have agood time in life as much as i can and thats true. i like to have fun, but i also pay attetion to what goes on here alot as well, maybe i dont post as much as some but i see some of the things that arent as they could be or possibly should be here in our family forum.. we have had some mighty fine folk that have went by the wayside for one reason or another and i feel that we need to address that.. me and shaz had couple threads that kinda touched on that here awhile back., for instance the one that shaz started about needing some serious help,, got alot response on that but if we arent reminded we all slip back into old habits.. also the MIA thread which i started asking for those that there wewr missing form our forum and have went elswhere for various reasons.. we have had some real good resource's leave us for another forum. and my question is why ??? i dont have all the answers but i feel that we as a group should take alook at the reasons and possibly change some things.. this was paid by me announcment and i and few others approve thanks for listening ////so register to vote and make your voice count!
    Last edited by larry merlau; 10-03-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Just so everyone knows, registration option is closed until the current Moderator election ends (see here). I agree with Larry that everyone should have a voice in this forum. So please register (after Oct 8th) and please do make suggestions (see the section called "Members Only - Forum Directions and Business"). Also, if you are registered and haven't voted, please do so.

Thanks,
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

well larry...........i ain`t mighty fine.........ain`t gone by the wayside either, allthough i have been kinda remiss in my postings....kinda had my plate full for the last several months and probably will for the next several.....
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    well larry...........i ain`t mighty fine.........ain`t gone by the wayside either, allthough i have been kinda remiss in my postings....kinda had my plate full for the last several months and probably will for the next several.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    Good post Larry.

I for one get a lot out of the site and continue to gain very helpful insight about all types of woodworking. I have a tiny bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism in that I have come across posts asking for help, and when offered, receive no thank you or follow up from the requester.

I'm sure we are all busy, but if someone takes the time to answer a call for assistance, we should each remember to offer thanks and let others know how the suggestions or help worked out.

Thanks!
    yup you got a full plate tod and frank your right we need to thank those that offer helping hands, be it large or small.. that was one thing i learned in my up bringing is to appreciate others and there help when given. this country would be in worse shape than it is without those traditins..if we the family have anything to say we should do it, as long as we play by the rules doing so. criticism is what makes us all better if given in the proper dosages and the forum can get to points where it may need some at times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    yup you got a full plate tod and frank your right we need to thank those that offer helping hands, be it large or small.. that was one thing i learned in my up bringing is to appreciate others and there help when given. this country would be in worse shape than it is without those traditins..if we the family have anything to say we should do it, as long as we play by the rules doing so. criticism is what makes us all better if given in the proper dosages and the forum can get to points where it may need some at times as well.
    Larry, all good points. I was brought up the same way, but I am guilty of not giving thanks when merited all the time.

You hit the nail on the head about criticism for all members and the forum itself. That's what got the whole thing started in the first place.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I think we lost some people from boredom. There is a definite lack of woodworking talk on here. I go to another forum because I find more interesting woodworking talk on there. There seems to be a decent amount of talk in the turning forum but that doesn't interest me as much as it used too. I don't read those post all the time.

There is a family feel here and there is a lot off topic talk and I am not saying that is a problem. But I do feel there is a real absence of good in depth woodworking post. And I don't know what to do about. That's why I spend more time other forums than I do here. And I think we have lost some serious woodworkers because of that.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    Good post Larry.

I for one get a lot out of the site and continue to gain very helpful insight about all types of woodworking. I have a tiny bit of (hopefully constructive) criticism in that I have come across posts asking for help, and when offered, receive no thank you or follow up from the requester.

I'm sure we are all busy, but if someone takes the time to answer a call for assistance, we should each remember to offer thanks and let others know how the suggestions or help worked out.

Thanks!
    Frank, and everyone,

It occurred to me that I've been asking for a lot of help on the forum lately. I do always try to stay current with threads that I start and to answer/acknowledge any help offered. However, if I've missed anyone please understand it was not intentional and I truly appreciate any and all help, direction, or criticism I receive here.

Now, back to the original question - why are some leaving and what can the rest of us do to bring them back or keep others from going?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Now, back to the original question - why are some leaving and what can the rest of us do to bring them back or keep others from going?

FREE WOOD!!!

Just pay handling, shipping, import taxes, etc...

No seriously, if anyone has suggestions, I think Larry has a good point.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    FREE WOOD!!!

Just pay handling, shipping, import taxes, etc...

A wood street bail-out?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Just so everyone knows, registration option is closed until the current Moderator election ends (see here). I agree with Larry that everyone should have a voice in this forum. So please register (after Oct 8th) and please do make suggestions (see the section called "Members Only - Forum Directions and Business"). Also, if you are registered and haven't voted, please do so.

Thanks,
    so how many are registered this time to vote darren?

rennie// i aint given away free wood fer no one rennie, you could give a them a free day of cleaning and rearragin your shop tho...