Smart cop

Al killian

I really think some of these cops need a brain transplant. I was pulled over today for not wearing my seatbelt correct, fine. I show the cop my note from the doc with permission not to wear it over the shoulder and did want to accept it. So, I end with a ticket. The funny thing is that he asked me where I was comeing from and where I was headed. He watched me pull out the woods with a truck load of firewood a my saw next to me.:huh:Yep he is a smart one. When he pulled me over I was already in my driveway, but he still asked where I was going.:rofl:. Here your sign.:D Rant off now back to unloading the truck.

Don't pay the fine, go to court... If the officer doesn't show then it is thrown out, If you do face a judge show him the Dr. Note and he will toss it out. Seatbelt fines are Road Apples at best. Local Troopers and Barney Fifes have a grant to write tickets and that blows for the regular driver not drunk or disorderly but just trying to get for point A to B. I feel for you and know from where you speak of the idiots writing tickets.

I got one a couple months ago, he said I was doing 50 (15 mph over the speed limit counts double the fine and points) I was speeding but the instant I saw him I looked down and saw I was doing 45 (in a 35 zone, rural road, go figure) anyway, I kept saying "not 50" every time he said 50. and was getting irate about it... I said " I guess we'll let the judge decide" He wrote me for not having proper insurance papers in the vehicle (expired the day before and the new were on the dining room table, at home) But "let me slide" on the speeding... Why? Because he knew he had to go to court on my terms and most probably on his day off. BTW, I showed the judge my current insurance card and it was dismissed.

Take the ticket to court.

I show the cop my note from the doc with permission not to wear it over the shoulder

Let me get this straight Al... you have a note from a Dr so you don't have to wear a seatbelt over your shoulder?

But, you can cut fire wood with a chainsaw, load a truck AND even unload it?

Now, I'll admit I know nothing about NY state traffic law, but I would assume the purpose of said note would be so the seatbelt doesn't aggravate a injury or medical condition. I'm having a really hard time understating how you might have a condition what would be aggravated by a seatbelt but still allow you to perform the above listed activities... Should be real interesting to watch you explain that to a Judge. Let me know what day your court date is , I'l like to watch that one:eek:

Mike

My best friend is an attorney, and while plenty of his friends have tried to use him to get out of a ticket or two, he always says the same thing.

"Did you do it? If the answer is yes then take your punishment."

It is good advice, because I think so many people think the laws don't pertain to them.

Myself I had the opposite reaction to a police officer this week. He was behind me in line and so I bought him his coffee. He looked at me and said "No one does that." I said "You deal with the scum of this county everyday. There are a lot of good people in this county but you never deal with them. Have a good day."

Back before radar & dash cameras my mother had a cop tailgate her as dusk close enough she couldn't see the head lights. She eased down on the gase to get a little room he then turned the overhead lights on & pulled her over & said he was writing her for speeding she told him he could go ahead but that when he was finished he could consider himself under arrest & put his weapon in the trunk & put his patrol car in front of her car & lead the way to the police station. He handed her license & other paper work back to her & said have a good day Mam.:)

On another note I've never been stopped unless I did something wrong.

Back before radar & dash cameras my mother had a cop tailgate her as dusk close enough she couldn't see the head lights. She eased down on the gase to get a little room he then turned the overhead lights on & pulled her over & said he was writing her for speeding she told him he could go ahead but that when he was finished he could consider himself under arrest & put his weapon in the trunk & put his patrol car in front of her car & lead the way to the police station. He handed her license & other paper work back to her & said have a good day Mam.:)

On another note I've never been stopped unless I did something wrong.

thats one tuff lady bart:rofl: thanks for the chuckle

I can not blame for pulling over, just doing job. Ticket will get thrown out monday when I see the judge.

Most of the cops around here are laid back and no me(not in a bad way), so they don't bother me for the seat belt. A few of them stop in my MIL's resturaunt in the moring for their coffee and chat if they have time.

Mike, I do not do the loading of firewood or do to much cutting. If I manage to get 2 or 3 tree cut down and sliced into 18" chunks that is a good day for me. My son and freind do most of the work. I mostly I drive back and forth.

Myself I had the opposite reaction to a police officer this week. He was behind me in line and so I bought him his coffee. He looked at me and said "No one does that." I said "You deal with the scum of this county everyday. There are a lot of good people in this county but you never deal with them. Have a good day."

That is a CLASS move Travis. Well done.:thumb:

Mike, I do not do the loading of firewood or do to much cutting. If I manage to get 2 or 3 tree cut down and sliced into 18" chunks that is a good day for me. My son and freind do most of the work. I mostly I drive back and forth.

Al, personally I think it has a bit of a bovine odor from here, but you don't have to justify anything to me. The bottom line is you're the one who has to square it with your own value system.

Mike

Let me get this straight Al... you have a note from a Dr so you don't have to wear a seatbelt over your shoulder?

But, you can cut fire wood with a chainsaw, load a truck AND even unload it?

Now, I'll admit I know nothing about NY state traffic law, but I would assume the purpose of said note would be so the seatbelt doesn't aggravate a injury or medical condition. I'm having a really hard time understating how you might have a condition what would be aggravated by a seatbelt but still allow you to perform the above listed activities... Should be real interesting to watch you explain that to a Judge. Let me know what day your court date is , I'l like to watch that one:eek:

Mike

I had the same thoughts. Puzzling.
But, I'm not a doc and wasn't there.

Common misconception:

Cop won't show up for court on their day off. Where I am, cops get 4 hours minimum of overtime just to show up in court on their day off. That would be $276 just for walking in the door, saying hi, and leaving because the person took defensive driving since he was not prepared to actually do anything in court. If I was a cop (read between the lines here ;)) I would be hoping that people would take it to court on my day off.

Lets see - 4 days on and 3 days off. Court twice a day on the 3 days off. $276 x twice a day x 3 days off = $1656 per 3 days off extra pay.

When you think about it, if you look around the court at all of the people involved in your case, the ONLY person not being paid to be there is you. Even if you show the judge your letter and he lets you off, everyone but you will still get paid for being there.

Common misconception:

You will win in court just by showing up. Lets see, you need evidence in court, like say testimony. Something like, Your Honor, he told me he had just finished cutting down some trees, or he told me that the chainsaw was his, or he was dropping off a load of wood at his house with no one else there to help. You know, things he might have asked that you answered where it would invalidate your letter in the judge's eye. But the cop could not be that smart I guess.

Common misconception:

Cops like donuts. Okay, fine, you got me on this one.

But really now, you sure are punishing stupid Mr. Policeman by going to court. :thumb:

Last edited:
Common misconception:

Cop won't show up for court on their day off. Where I am, cops get 4 hours minimum of overtime just to show up in court on their day off. That would be $276 just for walking in the door, saying hi, and leaving because the person took defensive driving since he was not prepared to actually do anything in court. If I was a cop (read between the lines here ;)) I would be hoping that But really now, you sure are punishing stupid Mr. Policeman by going to court. :thumb:

well if you arent now you sure could have been in the past life:thumb: its amazing at what a couple questions can reveal and put many others to rest!

Robert, it makes no difference if he was cutting wood or packing a saw or not, If he has a letter eximpting from the belt then he is clear. we don't know why the letter so we can just speculate, but I too have a permission slip not to wear a shoulder strap (I still must wear the belt, in this state)

Due to surgery where my sturnum was cut apart, excessive strain on my chest from a shoulder strap could do more harm than good, in an accident. So I Don't have to wear the strap. in the proper position. I also have a Handicap parking permit even though I can walk and climb and cut wood and tote logs. I have two artificial legs so I am allowed that permit.

There is My evidence should I have to go to court and dispute an officers interpretation. Most officers I know are smart enough to realize rational thinking but with the grants provided for ticket writing, it is no wonder they are often quick on the draw.