Yet another gloat??? YES!!! :D

Jason Beam

So Tuesday night before I went to bed, I checked craigslist, like I tend to do from time to time...

On it was an ad for some walnut. The pictures were pretty minimal - it was tough to tell for sure how big things were. So I emailed the guy and went to bed. He replied yesterday morning telling me he still had it and was willing to make an appointment. Well it turns out, this wood sat only 2 blocks away from my office. So we arranged for me to come by after work and take a look.

I left work at 4:30 on my scooter - i got to the guy's place at 4:31 (stop lights). I didn't even get pulled into the driveway and I knew i'd found someplace special. I could see the END of a 5 FOOT wide board about 4" thick facing me - Behind it was another. This guy was about to become my new best friend.

Well I shook hands with the guy and walked around to see what was in the ad. There was a pile, about 5' tall, 10' wide and about 3' deep of walnut - some of which were full the entire 10x3 and about 3" thick. He said that's most of the ad's listing. In back, were 3 more chunks. These came with the deal as well. He's asking for $125!

Well ... I immediately called my best friend and said he'd better drop what he's doing, i've just found Mecca. Inside the garage, that end of the board was a 5' WIDE, 8' LONG chunk of curly walnut. ALL heartwood, NO cracks, just a dryin' away. Behind it is it's bookmatched mate. On a trailer beside the garage laid 7 4" thick crotch slabs that were 9-10 feet long, 4-5' wide at the crotch and 3' wide at the trunk.

I didn't pick up those big slabs, he wanted a VERY good price for 'em. The big slabs he was askin $1500 for. I let that one go by - it wouldn't fit on my trailer!

So ... here's what I got for $125:

http://gallery.sawdusters.org/v/Beamer/wood/october08/

There's more, though. In the car are about a dozen chunks of 4' or shorter pieces of walnut - all between 3 and 6 inches thick, 8-14 inches wide. VERY nice stuff. Very figured.

My friend made out like a bandit, too. He picked up a similar amount of stuff - much of it in log form.

Turns out this guy has a 6' long bar on his chainsaw mill that he uses to mill up slabs on the spot. He's just become my new best friend :D

EDIT: I just put up a "What I didn't buy" folder showing some of the stuff I saw while there but didn't have permission to buy :D

Last edited:
Gloat ?

That's no gloat, that's out and out ROBBERY ! You should be ashamed of yourself for taking advantage of this poor man. KIDDING !!:rofl::thumb:

This is a very cool haul, enjoy it and show us what you make from it.

Sheesh, Jason, after a "Caper" like you just pulled, I expect to see you on America's "10 Most Wanted" list any day now. Nice haul.:thumb:

Being an ex teacher in an urban school system I know what "You Suck" really means so I won't use it here on this family WW forum as I have be chastized before for saying less.... Wonder why this is not treated the same as PITA

But as for your Haul, "You done good" :thumb:

Being an ex teacher in an urban school system I know what "You Suck" really means so I won't use it here on this family WW forum as I have be chastized before for saying less.... Wonder why this is not treated the same as PITA

But as for your Haul, "You done good" :thumb:

very good point bill, again i have an agreement with you..on all counts this time..:thumb:
not to deter from the very good haul on that walnut the double crotch witht eh sap wood looks awesome..you guys over on the california shore had better get to know this guy if you dont alredy or your gonne be short of wood he's gettin a monoply:D

Seems some can say You Suck while others can't say PITA Go figure? Is there a special moral code for Moderators? I guess I suck...

Last edited:
Seems some can say You Suck while others can't say PITA Go figure? Is there a special moral code for Moderators? I guess I suck...
As I mentioned in another thread...

No, Mods have to follow the same rules as everyone else. The majority of the elected Mods decided "You suck" is not offensive when offered in a complimentary manner. Under the current interpretation of the rules, Mods and members both can use the term.

The rules are pretty specific about abbreviations such as PITA...

No cursing, including use of substitute characters as all or part of a word instead of cursing.

I think abbreviations fall under the category of "substitute characters". (For the record, I personally don't think PITA is offensive, but I feel the same way about "you suck". However, my opinion isn't what makes the rules...the Mods and the voting members do that.)

The limits for language, politics, and religion are the three most difficult rules to define and decide what's acceptable, since they all mean different things to different people. The Mods here try to find those limits based on member feedback, so speaking up about it (as you've done here) is one way to let them know your preferences and opinions.

Bill, you don't "Suck" as Vaughn has explained, you are incorrect.

There is no special code for the staff here, we have worked VERY hard to avoid any of that stuff, heck we hold elections for the staff positions, nothing is taken for granted here, if the membership think one of the mods have overstepped their bounds, vote them out. :thumb:

Now, if you really feel strongly about all of this, instead of complaining about it, how about your run for office, be a moderator and lend a hand in sorting these things out, on your own time?

Cheers! :wave:

Last edited:
Vaughn, Nancy, and Stu (including all other Moderators. I do appreciate what you do and how you work at keeping this forum a clean family place but you are dead wrong about the terminology, How could you determine such comments to be complimentary when the origin of the term comes from Oral Copulation of the male sex organ. It is a street term used not as a term of endearment but as an insult. Over time and constant use society accepts these terms when they are addressed in a friendly manner but that does not change what it means, any more than the extended long finger "Flipped" at jest to another is just as offensive as if it were directed to another in a defiant manner.

How can we "Clean up our act" not just on this forum but with society's demise of excepted morals and general behavior when you choose to call such language complimentary? No , Lord knows I am not a Prude, but I do keep my vulgarity limited to my fishing buddies and guys night out fishing trips. While in the classroom, I would never had allowed such verbiage and as an administrator of discipline in our schools I never allowed such. Why would you allow this on what you pride yourself as being a Family Forum. Should not we do our part to "Clean up Society" by taking better control of slang comments just as you have chosen what abbreviations are approved or not.

You commented once that if a child was to see the abbreviated term and ask "daddy what does that mean?" well what if the same child asked that same question about your complimentary term of endearment?

All I am saying is.... Lets be consistent. Either use terminology that you would address to your children or open it up to street talk,