if we have a thought!

larry merlau

that we felt should be addressed by the family forum members, as to there opinion of this thought and after such discussion be brought up for vote as to change the way the forum veiws such thought.. how should that be done.. so that all members could get a chance to voice there thoughts and vote on the poll without nessacarly being registerd to vote, just a member..:dunno:

simple larry, start a discussion thread about the topic, leave the discussion active `till after the `lection then let interested folks know that they`ll need to register in order to vote in the upcoming poll.

We actually have a forum for that! It's the "Members Only" forum, for discussion of forum directions and business.

Any member can post there, and it's open to all members for discussion. Also, any member can vote on opinion polls. Only the election polls require voter registration.

Larry,

The FW Constitution provides for the kind of feedback I think you are looking to create.

"Polls

There are two types of polls: informal polls and formal elections or referendums.

Informal polls are for information or entertainment only. Examples of informal polls would be what color to paint a rebuilt tool, or to see which wood is the most popular. Any member can start an informal poll on any subject within the bounds of the CoC.

Formal elections or referendums are for determining forum operation such as changes to the forum itself, changes to the Constitution or forum rules, election of forum officials, or other 'official' business as deemed necessary by the forum staff.

Formal elections and referendums will only be started after the staff has discussed the issue internally and agreed by majority vote that the formal action is necessary. Formal elections and referendums will be clearly labeled as such. The forum staff must inform the membership of the intention to open this type of formal action and provide one week for membership discussion before the poll opens. Formal elections and referendums will remain open for seven days (excluding US and Canadian holidays).

Any member can request a formal election or referendum to address issues that involve the operation of the forum. The member should first bring the issue to the attention of at least one Moderator via Private Message. If the resolution offered by the forum staff is not satisfactory to the member, then that member may initiate an informal poll to query other members about the issue. The forum staff must consider the ramifications of such polls carefully, but are not required to act on such polls if it is determined by the majority of the staff that those actions would be harmful to the forum."

The info is from this thread, second post.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2655

simple larry, start a discussion thread about the topic, leave the discussion active `till after the `lection then let interested folks know that they`ll need to register in order to vote in the upcoming poll.
that sounds doable tod, and everyone could see it, huh?

We actually have a forum for that! It's the "Members Only" forum, for discussion of forum directions and business.

Any member can post there, and it's open to all members for discussion. Also, any member can vote on opinion polls. Only the election polls require voter registration.

ok jim i see what you are sayin but here is an outsiders veiw,, those posts that are in the members forum dont get alot of pupblicity and if this needs to be seen by the majority then i feel it needs to be in a popular forum rather than the foreclosure page of local newspaper,, kinda like the sports page section or sorts,, what ever the majority of folk read in a paper i dont get one i bury my head in the sand daily:D

that sounds doable tod, and everyone could see it, huh?

ok jim i see what you are sayin but here is an outsiders veiw,, those posts that are in the members forum dont get alot of pupblicity and if this needs to be seen by the majority then i feel it needs to be in a popular forum rather than the foreclosure page of local newspaper,, kinda like the sports page section or sorts,, what ever the majority of folk read in a paper i dont get one i bury my head in the sand daily:D

Larry,
The Members Only forum isn't hidden. When you post to it, your thread will pop up as unread, just like any other forum. It'll only 'hide' if there've been no postings to it since your last visit - just like any other thread in any other forum.

It'll 'automatically' be there when a member hits the "New Posts" button when he/she logs on. If he/she chooses not to read it, that's his/her own concern - again, just like any other forum/thread.