failed penturning clip experiment

Frank Fusco

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A common question here, and at other forums, involves where to find or how to customize pen clips. The selection of unique or 'theme' clips is somewhat limited. The most popular (in my case, the Christian Cross) come only in gold colored.
Right now, I am wanting a cross in silver but none can be purchased. It would go on a European with pink acrylic. (I know, I'm the "wood only" guy. enuf of that for now.) This would be a gift to a friend's wife who is battling breast cancer. I don't think gold would be complimentary to the pink.
Enneyhow, I have this rifle clip that didn't hold up to normal use very long. The gold wore off quickly exposing the silver-colored nickel underlayment.
The experiment involved removing the remaining gold to turn this into an all silver-colored clip. I chucked up my cloth buffer and charged it with light green rouge. It quickly removed the gold highlights. But, if I held for a fraction of a second too long, it also removed the nickel exposing black colored steel underneath.
Agreed, simple experiment. A different rouge might give different results. Although, the manufacturers represent the green as the ideal rouge for this sort of use. Enneyhow, I present this failure for whatever use the information might be to others.

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 46
Frank, I know that there are some 'plating' kits you can get from a variety of car restoration sites. Wondering if theres something out there that would work?

I know there are some high quality chrome paint's you can get, but I'd worry about the durability.

I'm not a big fan of the gold colored pen kits myself, and find that I gravitate for the rhodium and other 'shiny' colors besides gold...

Frank, I know that there are some 'plating' kits you can get from a variety of car restoration sites. Wondering if theres something out there that would work?

I know there are some high quality chrome paint's you can get, but I'd worry about the durability.

I'm not a big fan of the gold colored pen kits myself, and find that I gravitate for the rhodium and other 'shiny' colors besides gold...

Generally, I prefer gold and 90% of my pens are that color. But, the pink, with gold, just doesn't do it for me. OTOH, my wife liked it when I showed her the two colors together. Go figger. Since using gold is the easy way out for me, that's what I'm going to do.