Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rocking chair plans

rocking chair plans

can someone direct me to a legit site to purchase rocking chair plans.
    moderate skill level builds. nothing too complicated. thanx

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    can someone direct me to a legit site to purchase rocking chair plans.
    moderate skill level builds. nothing too complicated. thanx
    Hey Allen - any luck on the plans? Any particular style? Wood? Size?

How about something like this?
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...g/1273226.html
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 10-06-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Wood magazine has a nice plan for a rocker. Issue 183, May 2008.

Good Luck!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Wood magazine has a nice plan for a rocker. Issue 183, May 2008.

Good Luck!

Tom
    thats a pretty perfect model for me...... gonna get rid of those round mortise and tenons, use the stock I have on hand(its for outdoors ofcourse, I need a few more chairs outside), and tweak a few of the measurements, but Im going to use that model. Thanks.

No problem Allen, let us know how it goes, pics and comments. The LOML likes the design and wants 2 for the deck, so iffin you make some, I am courious on how they go together so maybe a person like me (less than moderate skill level ) might be able to build.

Tom

The legs and rockers will be built with the leftover Ipe I have, and the seat and back slats, as well as arms will be one of three species. Redwood, Red Cedar, or PT pine. Im going to test all three with a stain I have in mind, one I think would look good with the dark rich ipe. A reddish minwax stain. Cant recall the name at this time. I believe I have enough redwood, a little short with cedar, and PT is easy and cheap enough. Ill know by weds. Ill probably have most of the parts cut before weekend.

some guy out here on the island was advertising a ton of ash on craigs list, and Id love to get it from him, but that was yesteray, and I had to work today. so Ill give him a holla to see if he has any left.

again, Id like to thank Tom for pointing me to a set of plans I could model after.
    Alot of tweaking, since Im not using round tenons, or pegs on the legs with overlapping the rockers.(nor will the back slats be jointed with round tenons)

So I decided to get under way, work a couple of hours, and looked around the garage.....its gotta be Ipe, yeah, Im beginning the stuff all over again, and pressure treated pine, cause thats all I have alot of in the garage, not enough red cedar, redwood or mahogany, and Im not going to buy anything.
    If I suceed with this chair, it will be given as a present to someone who is very kind to my wife, and myself, and is rather up there in age. 85+.

I thought about just using oak, since I have alot of it, but I know this lovely lady would be happier with a nice outdoor rocker, and I have to make sure it stands up to weather.

Just that ipe, man, I have the ipe dust in my socks already.

Ran into my first problems already.

First, I dont own a router table, so the rounded tenons are out. I dont own a bandsaw, and thats gonna hurt alot, but I dont think a bandsaw blade will cut threw Ipe unless its made for metal. Third, I dont own a trammel. Nor did I even know what one is(no laughing rennie or ned) I had to look it up, cause I thought a trammel was a person that was living 4.7 miles north northeast of the munchkin village along the yellow brick road, cause its just something I never used or heard of. Trammel,.,.hmmmmmmmmm nice item.(talk about the inexperienced woodworker)

so, I improvised a bit.
    Already busted 2 bosch jigsaw blades trying to get it to cut through both rockers of 5/4 ipe together.
    Ill have to do one at a time, using a metal jigsaw blade, and belt sand and fine sand together, getting a nice curve and hopefully as close to identical as possible.(cutting together offers a real big advantage)
    I could have trimmed up the 5/4 ipe to 3/4, but I wanted to use same thickness as legs, and MT joint it all together.

one rocker cut, I made a pattern out of 1/2 inch mdf, to get started.

Just showing some woodworking, not world class stuff, but making alot of dust., an awful amount of dust.

cut 8 pieces of wood on the TS, mitre saw took me 10 minutes.
    Took me almost 2 hours to cut out pattern and one rocker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 148 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 149 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 10-08-2008 at 09:13 PM.

First, I dont own a router table, so the rounded tenons are out. I dont own a bandsaw, and thats gonna hurt alot, but I dont think a bandsaw blade will cut threw Ipe unless its made for metal. Third, I dont own a trammel. Nor did I even know what one is(no laughing rennie or ned) I had to look it up, cause I thought a trammel was a person that was living 4.7 miles north northeast of the munchkin village along the yellow brick road, cause its just something I never used or heard of. Trammel,.,.hmmmmmmmmm nice item.(talk about the inexperienced woodworker).
    I'm hurt.

BTW - Isn't a trammel one of those things people ride in to get up the side of a mountain?

Actually Allen, you impress me regularly. In fact, you were the inspiration for me to try and rearrange my entire shop over a single weekend. I figured if you could build and entire back yard full of furniture in 2 days, I should be able to move a few cabinets around!

Good luck on the rockers. Also, note that the parts and joints of a rocker undergo a lot more stress in use than a regular chair. Using redwood or cedar might be problematic. You don't want any 85 year olds' hitting the pavement in a shower of splinters.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Just showing some woodworking, not world class stuff, but making alot of dust., an awful amount of dust.
    Allen, where is the controversy in that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I'm hurt.

Also, note that the parts and joints of a rocker undergo a lot more stress in use than a regular chair. Using redwood or cedar might be problematic. You don't want any 85 year olds' hitting the pavement in a shower of splinters.
    thats a reason I decided to go with a strong hardwood for the legs, rockers and stretchers/supports.

Im only going to use PT pine for the back slats, seat slats and arms.(perhaps finish them light as a nice contrast to the dark walnut color of the ipe)