rocking chair plans

oh, and one of my main concerns, was that it wouldnt rock evenly, but its smooth and seems balanced, guess once I glue and screw it all together Ill know the truth.

moderator, I believe this build belongs in flatwork, but figured I asked for plans here, so I was going with it. sorry.

Last edited:
Looks to me like it's progressing nicely, Allen. You keep this up, you're gonna have to stop calling yourself a rookie. ;)

totally unhappy with the pressure treated pine, I recut the arms out of ipe,(the only 3/4 I had left) and finished all the fine tuning and tweeking.
Ofcourse, my day wouldnt have been complete without the last cut of the chair, the last tenon shaping, I lost my grip and the board moved, choped a bit too much off the end, so the tenon was thin.
It shifts a bit too much, the back slat on the right, so I tried some unfancy woodwork, now its worse.
Im going to build it up from inside the mortise on the bottom, a drop of play is fine for the back slats.Id just rather not see any space on the top of the slat.

I have to rout it all over, again, no 1/8th roundover, so Ill have to go with my 1/4 inch.This will remain a no buy anything build, using what I have.

I dug threw the spiders and sawdust and found some old stains to give the PT a bit of flavor.
The only light shade I have is golden pecan by minwax, everything else is very dark.(so golden pecan it is, I believe that was the shade, Id have to check again)I can use one of the red stains, red chestnut, sedonia red, but I thought a light shade would contrast the dark walnut coloring of the ipe nicely.
Any thoughts, I will take advice on anything.
(the rockers arent attached in the pic, dry fitting over and over again gets tiresome)

Attachments

• wood stuff 161 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 161 (Medium).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 22
  • wood stuff 162 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 162 (Medium).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
took care of the pressure treated look.

used the dark walnut stain, and have it half assembled.(both sides)

the only error that I couldnt fix outright, the(one) rear leg(sorry bout the pic quality, guess bending all the way down and trying to hold the camera still didnt work out) didnt sit exactly flush with bottom rocker, as did the front leg.
Couldnt move frame around enough to work it out, so Ill have to live with it 1/16th off, or just build up a tiny wedge of wood so it wont be visible.(I dont want to blame the tools, Ive been off more than a 16th my entire life, but a bandsaw would have made cleaner cuts than a jigsaw on a hard wood)
Otherwise, for once, I do believe its looking ok, and Im satisfied with this build, which was/is very difficult for me.
Although Ive modified the joints, and added 1/2 inch to make tenons more secure, I think it looks pretty close to the project in the magazine.

Attachments

• wood stuff 163 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 163 (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 25
  • wood stuff 165 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 165 (Medium).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 24
  • wood stuff 166 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 166 (Medium).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 11
  • wood stuff 168 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 168 (Medium).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 20
  • wood stuff 169 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 169 (Medium).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 16
  • wood stuff 170 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 170 (Medium).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hi Allen,
My wif saw that mag cover and has "strongly" encouraged me to make 3 of those for the front porch. I am glad you did it and it really looks good. Hope mine turn out as nice
Reg