Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chair Project in progress*** updated partial glue up***

Chair Project in progress*** updated partial glue up***

Hello All, I've been away for awhile mainly My job has kept busy not allowing for shop time. I was able to work on these a little in the spring. But it got busy again. So over the last couple of weekend I've been able to get back at it. To start My wood supplier couldn't get enough 8/4 maple I needed for the legs. So after some thought I came up with the idea of laminating strips instead of a solid piece. The table I made for these chairs have walnut accents. So I went with the idea of putting a thin strip of walnut in the middle. So here's a couple of pic's of the glue up and the legs themselves after shaping. I bandsawed them out the attached a template with double faced tape. Then cut them out using a patten cutting bit on the router table.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chairs 021 (600 x 450).jpg   chairs 011 (600 x 450).jpg   chairs 017 (600 x 450).jpg  
    Last edited by Russ Massery; 10-16-2008 at 02:23 AM.
    There is unrest in the forest,There is trouble with the trees
    For the maples want more sunlight,And the oaks ignore their plea's. N.Peart

I'm liking that laminated strip in the middle. Nice accent pieces.

I know what if feels like to be away from the shop for a while. I've finally been able to spend some time out in mine and it's a great feeling.

Keep us updated on the progress with the pics!

Have you already posted pics of the table you made?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery View Post
    Hello All, I've been away for awhile mainly My job has kept busy not allowing for shop time. I was able to work on these a little in the spring. But it got busy again. So over the last couple of weekend I've been able to get back at it. To start My wood supplier couldn't get enough 8/4 maple I needed for the legs. So after some thought I came up with the idea of laminating strips instead of a solid piece. The table I made for these chairs have walnut accents. So I went with the idea of putting a thin strip of walnut in the middle. So here's a couple of pic's of the glue up and the legs themselves after shaping. I bandsawed them out the attached a template with double faced tape. Then cut them out using a patten cutting bit on the router table.
    I like the look Russ!
    BTW, your pictures remind me, I need more clamps.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Most likely not on the table. Think i built maybe 3-4 years ago. I'll see if have couple of pic's to post. also I'll try the kept the chair project current.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I like the look Russ!
    BTW, your pictures remind me, I need more clamps.
    Yeah, and Festools with Festainers....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

good to hear from ya again russ,, i would fire steve for not keepun ya in wood be glad yur busy alot of folks arent!!!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Russ, good to see a post from you. I'm looking forward to seeing how these chairs turn out. I'm sure it will look good with all the maple goodies you have.
    Wm. Jason Tuinstra
    www.makerofshaker.com

Mortising

I've build a lot of Arts& Crafts furniture in the past. Some time ago I bought a bench top mortiser. I was never thrill with the machine. After honing the chisels, sharping the insides. I wasn't happy with all the chisel work on the bottom to clean them up. This is were Jason comes in.(you still continue to amaze and inspire me) You working on a shaker chair and was looking for input on the legs I believe. I notice you were using loose tenon joinery. It got me to start thinking in that direction. I only down side I could see was building jig for every application. So after some research I came across the Mortise pal. This couldn't make mortising any easier. Lay out the center lines of you mortise. Center the the indicator marks on the jig. And off you go. Here's few pic of the jig in action. This mortise had to be on 6 degree angle. So I took a couple scraps set them on the sides of of the jig. More to come. Larry good to hear from you again, How's the new shop? Jason,coming out this way again anytime in near future?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jig 010 (600 x 450).jpg   023 (600 x 450).jpg   017 (600 x 450).jpg  
    Last edited by Russ Massery; 10-10-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Massery View Post
    ...After honing the chisels, sharping the insides. I wasn't happy with all the chisel work on the bottom to clean them up...
    I like the mortise guide, and it sure seems to do a good job.

But, my question is "Why are you obsessing with cleaning up the bottoms of the mortises you cut with the benchtop machine?" The mortise bottom needs to be a (slight) bit deeper than the length of the tenon - mainly to accommodate excess glue, but also to forego a cross-grain gluing situation. Since it's serving no structural function, it really doesn't need to be all clean and smooth. Leaving them 'as is,' right off the machine works just fine, and I've never had, seen, or heard about , a joint failure from this method.

Just my 2˘ worth...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

The chair is coming along great. I agree with Jim about the bottoms of mortises not being structurally significant. I also went with the Mortise Pal and love it. Like the Dowelmax, the MP initially seemed a bit pricey. Once I did some thorough Bench top Mortiser research I came to realize that the MP wasn't much more than a few "good" mortising chisels and you don't have to buy or store the machine.

I just used it last night. On anything up to 2" wide, its quick, accurate, repeatable and just a well designed little jig. I also like that you can quickly whip up a good stock of tenon material out of quality scrap and have it on hand in a minimum of storage space. Keep the pics coming. I'm enjoying your progress.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-10-2008 at 02:11 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke