Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional DNA help requested

Additional DNA help requested

I know I've read quite a few posts about the DNA drying methods for bowls. Has anyone ever used it for thicker pieces like mallets and such. Let's say a piece of fairly wet wood 3" x 3" x 14". Any idea if it would be successful and how long it might need to stay in the bath? I'm tired of watching my pieces split.

Thanks in advance,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

Lee, I tried it on a couple of pepper mill blanks that are about 3 1/2" in diameter. I soaked them for a couple days, as I recall. They came out of the bath a couple weeks ago, and are still wrapped in newspaper. I'll know in another couple weeks how it worked. So far, they don't feel cracked (though the paper wrapping).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Last year I used denatured alcohol to dry some walnut for rolling pins. I rounded the green blanks; they were about 2 .5- 3" in diameter. I soaked them for awhile...maybe a week because I was away. I did not wrap them but I stood them on end. I weighed them about every 2 weeks and turned the down end up. It seems as if they stopped loosing weight after about 2 mos. The billets did not crack; they remained stable through turning and during the 2 week time period before the customer picked them up.
    Barbara

With the thicker wood you will have to soak longer as long as maybe a week. I did some green wood peppermills, let them soak for a week and then wrapped them in brown paper grocery sack. I let them dry for a couple of months, put them back on the lathe and they came out fine. I had a couple of maple, cherry and walnut.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, let me know how you did your peppermills. I want to go there after boxes. Many
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Wink Now a dense question

Sure appreciate all the valuable input. I thought it might take a longer soak to absorb deep enough. Now another question based somewhat on where we are. Are there any specific woods that anyone has used that do not fit into the bell curve? I'm just thinking that woods like maybe ebony (I guess really hard non-porus woods if not ebony??) might not respond as well or might require a longer period in the bath??? I'd love to hear thoughts or experiences.

Thanks again,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

It's interesting that you guys are soaking your pepper mill blanks... I make a number of them and have never thought about soaking... I would think that after it's drilled, the stresses wouldn't be so bad as to cause cracking... have never turned a green piece for a PM though. Definitely have to keep this in mind on the next ones.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Laird View Post
    Sure appreciate all the valuable input. I thought it might take a longer soak to absorb deep enough. Now another question based somewhat on where we are. Are there any specific woods that anyone has used that do not fit into the bell curve? I'm just thinking that woods like maybe ebony (I guess really hard non-porus woods if not ebony??) might not respond as well or might require a longer period in the bath??? I'd love to hear thoughts or experiences.

Thanks again,
    Lee,
    I'll let some of the more experienced turners chime in on this, but I would think that the had dense woods and the oily woods won't do well in the bath... just my thoughts..
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Chuck,

No problem. You and I seem to think alike.

Thanks,
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX

I'm re-touching on this older thread as I'm still looking for some input on the Ebony and other hard dense woods response to DNA baths.

Anyone out there that can assist?
    Lee Laird
    Austin TX