Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding...

Need help finding...

Need help finding something. I am again working on the restoration of an Antique Woodbody Car. Trim was held on with Ovalhead Brass screws (not a problem) and they were set in small cup washers to prevent them from working their way too deep or waller out the holes under constant vibrations. I can't seem to find these washers although I know they are out there but where, was hoping some of you guys have run across them Here is a crude drawing of what I am looking for.... thanks and hope you can help.

Thought maybe they might be in some Marine supply but no luck yet, perhaps if I knew the real name of them it would help in the research... Any help appreciated.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    My first place to look for uncommon items like that is VanDykes restorations.

Lindsay area, Ontario, Canada
    Don't know of a supplier Bill...but try searching for "cone" washers. Cup washers, basically sit on the surface...cone type sit as you indicate on your sketch.

Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    wish I could help with a source, but 'crude' doesn't apply to that sketch. Nice job!

The Heart of Dixie
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Just like them except in Brass. Thanks Jeff...

Depending on how many you need, they might be easy enough to make. Get a nice piece of maple or some other hardwood and go ahead and drill the proper sized hole and counter sink to fit the cone washer, then make a punch on the lathe with another stick of maple to match the cone and even leave a "guide" on the front of the punch the size of the drilled clearance hole. Unless you get a very thick brass washer, it should be easy to form a bunch of them in a short time.

Tokyo Japan
    Great idea Royce.

Oh yeah, welcome to the Family

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I went with :

Seems they have just the thing But it is chrome over brass but $5+ per hundred. and I can use the electroplating process to Un-chrome or simply sand the chrome off on the top with some fine w/d paper.

My thanks to all the fellows who did some research for me and made my task easier. Several had good ideas and I appreciate each and every one of them. Really makes you think what a treat it is to belong to such a forum.

Thanks again....

Bellevue, WA

Try here ...

Check Lee Valley for Countersunk Washers, item numbers 01K70.01 through .03. They are slightly different, but I think they would work.

The Lee Valley hardware catalog showed up today and these were spotted as I was paging through.