Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Need help finding...

  1. #1

    Need help finding...

    Need help finding something. I am again working on the restoration of an Antique Woodbody Car. Trim was held on with Ovalhead Brass screws (not a problem) and they were set in small cup washers to prevent them from working their way too deep or waller out the holes under constant vibrations. I can't seem to find these washers although I know they are out there but where, was hoping some of you guys have run across them Here is a crude drawing of what I am looking for.... thanks and hope you can help.

    Thought maybe they might be in some Marine supply but no luck yet, perhaps if I knew the real name of them it would help in the research... Any help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    My first place to look for uncommon items like that is VanDykes restorations.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Lindsay area, Ontario, Canada
    Don't know of a supplier Bill...but try searching for "cone" washers. Cup washers, basically sit on the surface...cone type sit as you indicate on your sketch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    wish I could help with a source, but 'crude' doesn't apply to that sketch. Nice job!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    The Heart of Dixie
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

    Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

  6. #6
    Just like them except in Brass. Thanks Jeff...

  7. #7
    Depending on how many you need, they might be easy enough to make. Get a nice piece of maple or some other hardwood and go ahead and drill the proper sized hole and counter sink to fit the cone washer, then make a punch on the lathe with another stick of maple to match the cone and even leave a "guide" on the front of the punch the size of the drilled clearance hole. Unless you get a very thick brass washer, it should be easy to form a bunch of them in a short time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Tokyo Japan
    Great idea Royce.

    Oh yeah, welcome to the Family

    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

  9. #9
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I went with :

    Seems they have just the thing But it is chrome over brass but $5+ per hundred. and I can use the electroplating process to Un-chrome or simply sand the chrome off on the top with some fine w/d paper.

    My thanks to all the fellows who did some research for me and made my task easier. Several had good ideas and I appreciate each and every one of them. Really makes you think what a treat it is to belong to such a forum.

    Thanks again....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Bellevue, WA

    Try here ...

    Check Lee Valley for Countersunk Washers, item numbers 01K70.01 through .03. They are slightly different, but I think they would work.

    The Lee Valley hardware catalog showed up today and these were spotted as I was paging through.

Similar Threads

  1. Need help finding a video
    By Jonathan Shively in forum General Woodturning Q&A
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 07:33 AM
  2. Help finding wood in CNY
    By ed sautter in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM
  3. Also need help finding
    By Jim Burr in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
  4. Help finding something
    By Chuck Beland in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts