Need help finding...

Bill Simpson

Need help finding something. I am again working on the restoration of an Antique Woodbody Car. Trim was held on with Ovalhead Brass screws (not a problem) and they were set in small cup washers to prevent them from working their way too deep or waller out the holes under constant vibrations. I can't seem to find these washers although I know they are out there but where, was hoping some of you guys have run across them Here is a crude drawing of what I am looking for.... thanks and hope you can help.

brasscupwasher.jpg

Thought maybe they might be in some Marine supply but no luck yet, perhaps if I knew the real name of them it would help in the research... Any help appreciated.

Depending on how many you need, they might be easy enough to make. Get a nice piece of maple or some other hardwood and go ahead and drill the proper sized hole and counter sink to fit the cone washer, then make a punch on the lathe with another stick of maple to match the cone and even leave a "guide" on the front of the punch the size of the drilled clearance hole. Unless you get a very thick brass washer, it should be easy to form a bunch of them in a short time.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I went with :
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/No_6_Flush_Washer_Nickel_On_Brass_p/a602.htm

Seems they have just the thing But it is chrome over brass but $5+ per hundred. and I can use the electroplating process to Un-chrome or simply sand the chrome off on the top with some fine w/d paper.

My thanks to all the fellows who did some research for me and made my task easier. Several had good ideas and I appreciate each and every one of them. Really makes you think what a treat it is to belong to such a forum.

Thanks again.... :thumb:

Try here ...

Check Lee Valley for Countersunk Washers, item numbers 01K70.01 through .03. They are slightly different, but I think they would work.

The Lee Valley hardware catalog showed up today and these were spotted as I was paging through.

I like the looks of the LV countersinks, also, but LV didn't provide the depth of the counterbore they require, and these are on relatively thin slats of wood, so there was a fear that it would bottom out too thin for any strength and if you ever rode in one of these "rattle traps" you would see why vibration is a considerable problem. That is why we settled on the funnel shaped washers. (and why they originally used them)

Thanks for your thoughts... I too got the Catalog yesterday and they are a hansome detail that I would certainly use in some cabinet structure that would have a removeable piece where the screws would be repeatedly replaced or removed, would keep the hole from growing with each "snugging".