Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wonder where and why???

wonder where and why???

the censorship that has been mentioned by other members that they feel could be checked on.., perhapes censorship is to harsh of a word but, i think we could or should check with those that have fell by the wayside ,or just became quiet as to why they are there????,, they are important to our family! someone mentioned that the ole grizzled one's are plentiful, i disagree.. we need to keep all of those we can get,, they are valuble to us and those who come after us. everyone is a part of the big picture no one is disposable.. and we shouldnt view them as such. so i ask you the family to think about the ones that we used to see and now seem to be gone or not posting.. i know this is the off topic area and we have alot of that already here, i do agree that we can use some more woodworking posts and by doing that will improve the over all picture but in order to get them, we need to get the moral back to where we are all happy and working together to make this forum a great place to be at and have others think so to.. thanks for listening and ask yourself and your friends why.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    we need to get the moral back to where we are all happy and working together to make this forum a great place to be at and have others think so to
    Maybe i'm oblivious but I didn't think anything had slipped.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I think things have slowed down a bit, especially woodworking wise, but like has been said before, maybe thats because of (summer/work schedules/economy/etc...)

If there's been cases of censorship or hard feelings, I don't really recall anything for quite some time.

I like this place. I like the people, and I like the general friendly tone of things!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

larry, with all due respect to you and everyone else.......

I believe strongly that the past few weeks and the financial crisis the US seems to be going through are weighing heavily on alot of peoples minds.
    So much so that I just think people arent into their leisure actitivities or find themselves just floating around the internet and reading and posting on their favorite sites. I know I watch alot more "financially and economy based" shows these past few weeks, hoping to find someone who can make sense of all this bad news.

I think once people can go to bed at night and know they will still have a home in the morning, and still have enough in their retirement account, or enough to send their kids to college, will slowly return and show off their talents and share ideas.

Ive started a new project, but find myself more concerned about world news lately than really being too worried that I might not have enough board feet of wood for a project.

This post is not meant as any type of insult or controversy, Im just very concerned with the countrys financial situation, my own retirement status, and Im sure there are alot of others who if not almost everyone that is very concerned.

Having said all that, I cant express the appreciation I have for all those that put up with my lack of knowledge and sometimes tiresome questions, and find this place a very friendly and comfortable atmosphere.

me thinks that "censorship" doesn`t come into play..........
    what i think is that the hobbiests who could afford to do "flat work" in the past have tightened their purse strings...i seriously doubt that we`ll see very many shops being built or even outfitted for much more than spinny stuff or basic construction for the next "x" years due to world politics.
    the pro`s who have contributed have found a shortage of issues that they can offer advice for/on......i know myself i`d much rather help a fellow wood-butcher than brag about the latest whiz-bang i delivered and even the "whiz-bangs" i`m building have gone down scale when compared to just a couple of years ago........
    sadly woodworking in the world today is either a wealthy mans hobby or a poor mans vocation....and i think that may be why things have slowed somewhat?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Allen,

I may be at the risk of edging on politics, but I'm trying to play the history card here...

Franklin D. Roosevelt said in his First Inaugural Address:

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. "

"If I read the temper of our people correctly, we now realize as we have never realized before our interdependence on each other; that we can not merely take but we must give as well; that if we are to go forward, we must move as a trained and loyal army willing to sacrifice for the good of a common discipline, because without such discipline no progress is made, no leadership becomes effective. We are, I know, ready and willing to submit our lives and property to such discipline, because it makes possible a leadership which aims at a larger good. This I propose to offer, pledging that the larger purposes will bind upon us all as a sacred obligation with a unity of duty hitherto evoked only in time of armed strife.

With this pledge taken, I assume unhesitatingly the leadership of this great army of our people dedicated to a disciplined attack upon our common problems."

As an American, I do believe that we'll come out this recession quickly and better than ever. Individual efforts combined make us stronger, we all have a part to do and I'm willing to do my part.

Don't mean to sound sappy or overly patriotic, but hope it makes you feel better.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    me thinks that "censorship" doesn`t come into play..........
    what i think is that the hobbiests who could afford to do "flat work" in the past have tightened their purse strings...i seriously doubt that we`ll see very many shops being built or even outfitted for much more than spinny stuff or basic construction for the next "x" years due to world politics.
    the pro`s who have contributed have found a shortage of issues that they can offer advice for/on......i know myself i`d much rather help a fellow wood-butcher than brag about the latest whiz-bang i delivered and even the "whiz-bangs" i`m building have gone down scale when compared to just a couple of years ago........
    sadly woodworking in the world today is either a wealthy mans hobby or a poor mans vocation....and i think that may be why things have slowed somewhat?
    good points tod,,, i for one have tightend up on anything i do, and our state ranks on top in the worst areas, so your thoughts and allens could very well enter in to play,, i know there is now way i would have built the shop i now have this year,,wouldnt have even crossed my mind.. even the things i am in the middle of now i look at with a fine tooth comb..used to go and drive to get this or that and not think twice now i had better have two or three things to get rather than just one..as for being optimistic darren i try real hard but some days it dosent work....my parents came threw the first one and whenever i see them they remind of whats coming maybe....
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Allen,

IDon't mean to sound sappy or overly patriotic, but hope it makes you feel better.
    39 years ago I saw a 13 y/o girl sitting on a street corner with her best friend.
    I was a little older, had a mad head of hair, and was on a minibike with a 3.5 hp tecumsah engine, stella frame.(man o man I loved that thing)
    I had no clue who she was, but I stopped and said hi to her, asked her what her name was.
    In 7 weeks, its our 30th wedding anniversary, so things are pretty good as far as Im concerned.

(btw, her best friend lives less than 1/2 mile from us, and they are still close friends.)

Awesome Story Allen. That's something to be proud of

(Even more than your energy and enthusiasm and ability to shame some of us (me) into getting out to the shop to do things...)
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Name some names Larry.

You often go on about people who have fallen by the way side, but you are very gray in that area, who are we missing exactly?

This is a big group, people come and go, for any number of reasons they may not be able to spend time here, or they might be gone for a while, then, when things settle down, they will be back.

We are all adults here, we all realize that in the grand scope of things, this place is just a little bit of sunshine, but it is certainly not our entire world.

I've been heavily involved in some online forums and then for one reason or another, I've stopped going there, for example, I was doing some forge work and I got involved in a blacksmith forum, good people there too, and I spent a lot of time there, but when I'd finished up on my forging stuff (for now) I did not go to the blacksmith forum much, because I had little interest anymore. Same with the Hobart welding forum, I sometimes go there and ask a question when I have one, but otherwise, I don't go often.

I could very well be out of line here Larry, but it seems to me you look to be somehow blaming all of us here for some members no longer coming around, when it could have absolutely nothing to do with us at all?

I could be very wrong about that last statement, if I am, I'll apologize now, but this is a recurring theme with you Larry.

BTW, the financial situation in the US is certainly hitting us here in Japan.

Stu
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward