Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Box Swap (closed)

Lightbulb Box Swap (closed)

OK,

Most of us have seen Pen swaps... I'd like to suggest a Box swap... Once we get some folks expressing interest, we'll start a Box on its way... Include either a smallish Box say 6" in any one dimension maximum, some box-hardware (hinges, hasp, etc...) pre-cut wood or something involved in the making of a box. And no, spinny guys, this is for flatwork, (unless you're going to turn a pin for a )then take what you want from the box once it reaches you.
    THey can be finished or in progress.

Anyone up for the challenge?
    -Ned

Now theres an idea!!

one thing i can see that may hinder this though, what about the high cost of shipping? this could be sent as agift to a young woodworker that may not have acess to some purty wood.. and could be a intersting thread and story.. i know they do this with quilt blocks... with the ladies from all over..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

What about just limiting the materials to a USPS flat rate box? Can't you put just about anything in one of those for a flat rate?

Great idea by the way Ned...that will get some wworking threads started in no time!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Sign me up

If this gets flying, count me in. I love making small boxes and it's been a while since I've done any of them...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    one thing i can see that may hinder this though, what about the high cost of shipping? this could be sent as agift to a young woodworker that may not have acess to some purty wood.. and could be a intersting thread and story.. i know they do this with quilt blocks... with the ladies from all over..
    My mother used to do fabric swaps, and I just saw a pen swap over on lumberjocks, thought we could do something similar here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    What about just limiting the materials to a USPS flat rate box? Can't you put just about anything in one of those for a flat rate?

Great idea by the way Ned...that will get some wworking threads started in no time!
    Thanks Jeff, you saw through my plan... and yes flat rate would be about the size I was thinking of. we'll work out the details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    If this gets flying, count me in. I love making small boxes and it's been a while since I've done any of them...
    We could do a 'silent santa' thing, where we trade boxes one on one with someone else if shipping is a problem, and that way we could use the flat rate box, if it will fit in one of those, it counts.

Thoughts and input greatly appreciated!
    -Ned

once you get the particulars set i will donat the parts for one to help the cause! besides i have to much walnut now anyway
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've never participated in a pen swap or box swap. You do funny things out there!

Please bear with me and be so kind to explain me how it works.
    As far as I understand the deal is making a box and swaping it with someone.

What I do not understand is if it has to be finished or in pieces.

Then how do I know with whom I swap mine.

Shipping can be a bit expensive both for me and for the one that wants to swap his with me but I'll take the challenge.

Shouldn't there be some sort or instructions or rules so that everybody know how to proceed?

And last but not least if it hasn't been made clear yet, please count me in!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

........... besides i have to much walnut now anyway
    YOUR CAN NEVER HAVE TO MUCH WALNUT!!
    Or cherry for that matter.

What are you thinking??

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I've never participated in a pen swap or box swap. You do funny things out there!

Please bear with me and be so kind to explain me how it works.
    As far as I understand the deal is making a box and swaping it with someone.

What I do not understand is if it has to be finished or in pieces.

Then how do I know with whom I swap mine.

Shipping can be a bit expensive both for me and for the one that wants to swap his with me but I'll take the challenge.

Shouldn't there be some sort or instructions or rules so that everybody know how to proceed?

And last but not least if it hasn't been made clear yet, please count me in!
    Toni, each person participating agrees to swap a box or a set of materials for a box, or something related to box making... with someone else. Pen swaps use small enough materials that they use one large box and everyone contributes something, takes something different out and then ships it to the next person. Boxes may be too big for that, so we may just randomly swap between whomever wants to participate. Does that make sense? and Yep, shipping costs, especially overseas are something to consider as well, but that's why it is special, so to speak.

once you get the particulars set i will donat the parts for one to help the cause! besides i have to much walnut now anyway
    hmmmm.... too much walnut... nope I agree with Jeff, can't have too much walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    YOUR CAN NEVER HAVE TO MUCH WALNUT!!
    Or cherry for that matter.

What are you thinking??

I have 'barely enough' cherry at the moment, I was thinking of a nice cherry and maple, or cherry and butternut, or cherry and cherry box...
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Toni, each person participating agrees to swap a box or a set of materials for a box, or something related to box making... with someone else. Pen swaps use small enough materials that they use one large box and everyone contributes something, takes something different out and then ships it to the next person. Boxes may be too big for that, so we may just randomly swap between whomever wants to participate. Does that make sense? and Yep, shipping costs, especially overseas are something to consider as well, but that's why it is special, so to speak.
    I'm a bit dense, so I still do not see the entire picture - I'm sure I'll catch on. Count me in.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com