Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollowing System Purchase

Hollowing System Purchase

I asked this question on another forum...hmmm not many responses. Maybe it is a tough question but I'll ask it again here. (I've read a bit about Randy's system, looks great, but I'd like some options)

"Looks like I'm going to need a deep hollowing system and I'm not very knowledgeable about them. I will want to hollow to about 14 - 18 inches on occasion. The lathe I'll use is a 26" swing General. I'd appreciate the names of a couple of systems, what they entail, ease of use and of course, given the current market situation, the approximate cost Thanks!"

Tom

Hey Tom, I've been looking at the Jamieson (link to follow) but am leaning toward the Sorby system (again to follow). Jamison goes to something like
    24" whereas the Sorby is about 14-16. Here are the links....

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...rid=vcs1?Args=

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...rid=vcs1?Args=

Good Luck and post pic's!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

If I could afford it I'd get a Monster Tool Articulated Arm Hollowing System with Laser.

Go to bottom of page and you'll see the "Hollow System" button. Of course I'd be shooting for the Mini Lathe Version.

Tom, I think any of the off-the-shelf rigs are going to be pretty stretched to the limit going 14" to 18". I think it's not so much a factor of the type (captured handle or articulating arm), but more to do with the diameter if the boring bar.

I have both the captured and the articulating Monster rigs, but with a 3/4" boring bar, it's getting pretty chattery at 12" deep. I see Jamieson has a 1 1/8" bar, and I suspect it could be fit to most any rig available. If I were in your shoes, I'd contact Randy at Monster and see what it'd take to get set up with an articulating arm and a 1" or bigger boring bar. That, I believe, would nicely do what you're looking for. A big lathe like yours deserves a big hollowing rig.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Hi Tom!

You can make your own system fairly cheaply, and this would give you a good idea of what you might want to spend you hard earned money on, down the road.

>> HF Captured Rig <<

>> New Tips for the HF Rig <<

Just some of my monkeying around.

One other thought, is there a turning club nearby? If so, you could join up and see what some of the members have for hollowing rigs, you might even get a test ride on a couple, to give you a better idea of what you like etc.

I've not bought one, so I cannot really help you in that regard, sorry.

Stu
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Tom I agree with Vaughn. I think most off the shelf stuff is going to be pushing it beyond it's limits. I have seen several homemade versions of hand held units with 1 1/2" or bigger boring bars but never in a unit sold at the woodturning places.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ton my dad has made a couple of them for his 16" lathe and I now use the capture rig....your can save some $$ if you have the ability to do this and have some fun in the process too.

>>>>Link to pics<<<<<

Here is also a PDF of the "steel snake" he made.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Methinks homemade or custom made will be necessary. I dunno if 1 1/2" is necessary. (not questioning, just really dunno ) But, it is something to consider. I'm recalling a video of a set-up by an exotic wood exporter where one of his employees made big, real big, vases on a cobbled together rig. Watching that would be a big help in understanding what you might need for such a project. If the exporter comes to mind I'll post.

Just remembered this series of videos showing a BIG hollowing rig and also these pics of one I saw on AAW. (about mid page)
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Video was not the one I was thinking about. This still interesting. Looks like his square bar was about 1 1/2" and long enough to turn from the next county for safety.