any woodcarvers?

Not Rasps but Riffles... these are curved files made for getting into the corners and carvings etc. Good pocket knife or carver's knife is you best friend.

working with bass wood thought it would be the easiest

Good choice of wood, soft, closed grain and very light colour. I agree with Tod as far as sanding is concerned, try to avoid it, besides finishing with gouges is far quicker and you don't breath the dust.

Use razor sharp tools, and keep stropping them from time to time, for instance each time that you take a short break from carving, and obviously each time you think they need it.

Tom Wolfe has some excellent books on carving Santa ornaments. Also, this time of year the wood carving magazines are running a lot of articles on Santa carving. In my long ago past I did a lot of carving. Probably 50-60 Santa's, cowboys, wizards etc. There are a couple of my carvings on my photo site on the link in my signature. I quit carving for reasons I'd rather not air but still have some books. I could send you one if you are interested, no charge. Just paying ahead for the help I was given when I started. Now I just play Santa.
Dale

The lathe gives a lot faster satisfaction and better stress reduction for me now.

thanks Dale please do send me the book were is the best place to buy the magazines

I'll take any help i can get i love carving but get frustrated when i don't see the piece come out the way i see it in my head.

Last edited:
I'll get it out next week. Keep in mind, basswood doesn't have flame features like boxelder. If you see red on your blank, stop and look for blood. DAMHIK. I saw the magazine at Lowe'. Barnes and Noble also carry it. I believe it is called Woodcarving Design.

Well... Here you have a wannabe one trying to get rid of the "wannabe".

In fact I believe that they are somewhat scarce here. Quite a while ago I posted some pics of a penguin I carved but I can't make the search engine work to put the proper link.

I recall the help of an indulgent moderator to find it and include it here if you'll like to see it.

Do you do any woodcarving at all Dawn?

Toni i took a look at your penguin it's beautiful great job i'm not sure i want to put pictures of my stuff on here after seeing yours
Dawn

Toni i took a look at your penguin it's beautiful great job i'm not sure i want to put pictures of my stuff on here after seeing yours
Dawn

C'mon Dawn, we are all learners here and we all learn from each other.
At the begining I was also shy but this is a great family and they all make you feel at home.

I'd like to see some of your work (which is not stuff but work) do not underestimate your pieces.

C'mon Dawn, we are all learners here and we all learn from each other.
At the begining I was also shy but this is a great family and they all make you feel at home.

I'd like to see some of your work (which is not stuff but work) do not underestimate your pieces.

i second toni's motion dont set back cuz alot us were worse than we are now in some aspect or another and the way we got better is from showing the good folks where we are at and gettin there expeirnced answers as to how to get better,. so go girl show us your work and let it shine..never look at anything you made your slef as not worthy here, all is worthy from all who participate.:thumb::D

Toni, that is one fine piece of artwork.

Dawn, there is more combined knowledge and woodworking talent here, then you will ever find in books or online.

Its an easygoing place, theyve shown an old goat like me nothing but patience and encouragment.

Last edited:
Dawn

Now's really the best time for you to post pictures! First of all everyone will tell you how great it is, which is great for the ego, and second someone may be able to give some pointers when you get stuck! I have never done Santas so I don't know if I can help out with that, but don't shy away from posting!

Now's really the best time for you to post pictures! First of all everyone will tell you how great it is, which is great for the ego, and second someone may be able to give some pointers when you get stuck! I have never done Santas so I don't know if I can help out with that, but don't shy away from posting!
Ed is spot on. Don't hesitate to post pictures. It really is inspiring to get a few attaboys (or attagirls) from the Peanut Gallery, especially for someone who is just starting out. And if you ask for them, constructive suggestions from more experienced folks can also be a big help.

Plus, your carving can't be as bad as mine. :D

Carved Stick 600.jpg

What an eye for form, huh? :rofl: And since you can't see the awesome detail in that pic, here's a closeup:

Carved Stick Detail.jpg

I think I was in 5th or 6th grade when I did this. You can see I was already influenced by the great masters. :p I'd say between Toni and me, we've got the whole spectrum covered from great to horrible. ;)

Dawn

The two magizines to look for are Carving Illistrated and Carving Magizine.Carving Mag comes out 4 times a year. You can get them at Loew's or Barn&Noble. Also Look in your area for clubs. Good Luck. :wave:

Bill

Dawn

The two magizines to look for are Carving Illistrated and Carving Magizine.Carving Mag comes out 4 times a year. You can get them at Loew's or Barn&Noble. Also Look in your area for clubs. Good Luck. :wave:

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions Bill. I have looked around for clubs, the closest one is 50 plus miles away on Thursday nights. We are a one car family and my husband works second shift.

Here is my first attempt with very little instruction.

Dawn

Attachments

• s6301415a.jpg
    s6301415a.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 28
I'd say between Toni and me, we've got the whole spectrum covered from great to horrible. ;)

Hi Vaughn, I think you are too indulgent to me, I'd rather say from bad to worse:rofl: being the worse in my side.

In fact I'm planning to take a full 5 days carving course in january 2009, and I want to take it because I truly believe that I need it if I want to improve (apart from carving more and more everyday).

Dawn,
The Santa is a good start. It looks to be a Ron Ransom style. He has some good books out also. I did one just like yours back in the 80's. Most of my carving was done pre digital camera so I don't have many photos. Package headed your way today, I forgot the post office was closed yesterday. If I can find where I put my blanks I will box them up and send them your way. Do you have access to a bandsaw? I have some big blocks of basswood that need to go away also.

Dale

Here is my first attempt with very little instruction.

Dawn

Hi Dawn.

I find that for a first attempt you made a great job! You should have seen mine!
What is important is to be able to put the volums in the right place and with the right proportion and you've done it.

It doesn't look wrong to me on the contrary, because the shapes are where they should be it doesn't disturb the viewer.

Carving in the round is the most difficult one, being able to see how volumes relate to each other and being able to see that a part is not too small but that the part next to it is making it look small is the most difficult part.

If carving in the round is what you like, go for it but if you do not want to get early frustrated try some reliefs as well, first a low relief and then a higher one.

I'm glad that you joined, maybe we can stir up some more hidden carvers of the family;)

Last edited:
Toni thank you your comments helped relieve some tension.
It's nice to hear some feed back from other carver's. Thank you guys.
Dawn

Dawn,
The Santa is a good start. It looks to be a Ron Ransom style. He has some good books out also. I did one just like yours back in the 80's. Most of my carving was done pre digital camera so I don't have many photos. Package headed your way today, I forgot the post office was closed yesterday. If I can find where I put my blanks I will box them up and send them your way. Do you have access to a bandsaw? I have some big blocks of basswood that need to go away also.

Dale

Dale, Not sure of the origins got it from a friend that gave up on it, he had the general shape and I whittled in to that. Thank you so much for sending the book. let me know how much the box of blanks is and I'll repay you soon. Yes I have access to a bandsaw my sweet hubby said he would help me with that.

Dawn

I only do relief carvings. The only photos that I have are the ones I did for the shop windows and doors.
I have made special scrapers from old band saw blades to ge into this tight cross grain spots that just won't cleanup with a chisel.
Here's a page on my site that shows some of the quick carvings I have done.
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/ShopWindows.htm
and other photos inside the shop here
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/ShopShots.htm

My next carving project is fo an interior panel door for the house.

PlaneWindow3.JPG