Busy day

Paul Downes

I started the morning painting a basement room with a newly purchased Wagner paint crew. I like the machine. It was then off to the neighbors to remove a fence row. This includes 2 large white oak trees. I had the first one down and blocked up in a few hours. I ended up with a 30" log about 7' long destined for the sawmill. I then worked to dark trying to remove the stump with a back hoe. Man alive those trees are stuck in the ground well. It looks like I'll be at it all day tomorrow getting the job done. This is the first time I've had to remove such a large stump. I can see why dynamite is used. I wish there weren't any houses close by, cause I would much rather use that method.

After the fence row is done I will be putting in a drain tile and digging a ditch out. Then it's off to another farm to put a bridge in and fix a road so I can have easy access to the woods. I haven't spent a single day in the wood shop for the last 2 months:( That just ain't right!!

Sounds like a lot of work, but trust me Paul, it beats the heck out of sitting all day, with your leg in a cast :rolleyes:

If you have the time, take some pictures................ please :thumb:

Cheers!

hard work never killed anyone, and old guys like me are jealous of someone who can do all that stuff in one day and still be able to get up out of bed the next morning and walk straight.

hard work never killed anyone, and old guys like me are jealous of someone who can do all that stuff in one day and still be able to get up out of bed the next morning and walk straight.

Man, do I ever know what you mean! Yesterday, I decided it was time to turn over and consolidate the compost bins so I'd have a couple empty ones for the coming crop of leaves.

I have four bins, each six feet in diameter, and four feet high. By this time of the year, one is full of new green stuff, and the others are a third to a half full of settled compost.

I turned over one of those three, to stir it up, onto bare ground outside the bin, then shoveled the contents of the remaining two into a wheelbarrow and then again from the wheelbarrow onto the top of the pile. All in all, maybe three yards³ of shovelling and hauling.

I sure felt it this morning! It was definitely an Advil morning!

In another couple weeks, I'll be raking and gathering the leaves to fill the three now-empty bins again. Ain't the Fall season wonderful?!

Oh yeah...I can relate.

I was telling the guy I give a ride to work with that last Sunday was an easy day for me. He asked "what did you do." As I drove I thought about it and went through my day one item at a time.

Fed the sheep starting at 5:30 AM (I get up at 3 AM but don't get going)
Cleaned my shop up until 7:30 AM
Went over to a Friends house to sell off a load of firewood till 9 AM
Went to town (20 miles one way) and got fence charger for sheep
Installed fence charger until 1:30 PM
Unloaded groceries until 2 PM
Finally ate something at a birthday party (no joke) and was there until 4 PM
Harvested corn for sheep from 4 PM to 7 PM
Fed sheep at 7:30 PM
Sat down exhausted at 8 PM
Went to sleep at 9:30 PM

Somewhere in there I managed to kiss the wife, spend a little time with the 2 year old, talk to my dad, watch a little TV and get my fence charger hooked up. It was a good day. Monday morning I got up at 3 AM and went out to feed the sheep at 5:30 AM...

I am merely doing what my Grandfather did, what his Grandfather did and his Grandfather did. There are a lot of us out there that live like this. Its not for some, but for some of us,we wouldn't know what to do without running on screech 7 days a week.