Some chisel handles

Dominic Greco

Hi Gang,
Over the past couple months I accumulated some nice socket chisels from Ebay and Flea Markets. I had some 720s, some Ward Masters, a Samson Hrdw, a Union, and a 3/4" Witherby (which was a real surprise since I got it for $1)

Only a couple of them had handles that were usable. So I decided to pick out the one handle that I liked the most, and pattern new handles for the rest of the chisels from it. The handle that felt the best in my hand came from a Wards Masters Chisel.

So I rooted through my wood pile and found some bubinga that was given to me by my good friend Ron Sardo (he frequents the Turning Forum here and on WoodCentral).

Here is an "in process shot"
chisels_1a.jpg

And here is two of the completed handles.
chisels1.jpg

chisels2.jpg

The 6th handle in from the right is Lyptus. This is the same wood I got on my visit to Bally Block. It looked so nice that I decided to turn one handle from it. It wasn't as dense as the bubinga, so it turned a lot easier. It's heavier than beech. It was almost like a dense kind of mahogany. It took an edge well and sanded easily.

(3) of the handles were in perfect shape. I may or may not replace them. They feel good as they are.

Now I just need to apply a finish. I'm thinking some like of wipe on lacquer. Then it's on to flattening the backs and sharpening.

See ya around,
Dominic

Those look great!

the wipe on lacquer should be perfect, not much of a finish, but enough to keep them nice, until they get a finish from your hands.

Are you going to make a flat spot on the handles to stop them from rolling?

Very nice job indeed, great save on some good old tools :thumb:

Thanks for showing us :wave:

Stu

Chisel Handles me too

Hi Dominic

Great work on the handles and cleaning up those chisel handles.You reminded me I never posted my own experience in this area. I did the same except my chisels were handed down from my father who was ex Royal Navy. He collected them on board the battleship HMS Rodney. So mine go back to 1943 and still have the old navy issue stamp. Handles were a mess so I turned some new ones from ash cleaned them up on a buff and sharpened them. Sent some pics to the old guy to let him know they were now in good hands and being cared for. Brought a tear to his eye.

See the pics attached.

Attachments

• Chislels restored and ground but not finally sharpened and honed copy.jpg
    Chislels restored and ground but not finally sharpened and honed copy.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1565 copy.jpg
    IMG_1565 copy.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Made in 1943 copy.jpg
    Made in 1943 copy.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Now see those edges take the hair off your arm without a push copy.jpg
    Now see those edges take the hair off your arm without a push copy.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 31
  • New Handles copy.jpg
    New Handles copy.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 33
  • So well sharpened and honed you can see the camerain the reflection copy.jpg
    So well sharpened and honed you can see the camerain the reflection copy.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 42
They look nice. I'm not a chisel guy so I guess I didn't know what I had. I have had some for a long while that I got in a pile of tools. These are the best looking ones ( least rust and crud) ,when I saw them I ran into the garage and grabbed the two on top. The rest of them look like your top row. The one without the busted handle says SARGENT and something else that the wire brush didn't get off. I've jsut been skeetin em with WD-40 every half a year or so till I get around to cleaning em. I think I will at least get them cleaned for now and then turn some handles for them later. I'm glad you put them on here. thanks.

Attachments

• S6301385.JPG
    S6301385.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 31
Old handles

I guess the old handles could make a few "historic" bottle stoppers?

Yeah, I could probably do that. But I've promised them to a friend who has some old chisels he wants to keep "authentic".

And if I want to turn some "historic" wood I have some 50,000 year old Kauri that I picked up from AncientWood.com. :D I love seeing the customer's face when I tell them the story behind the wood and then show them the Carbon Dating certificate. :D

Completed Chisel Handles

Here's a photo of the handles with several coats of BLO applied. I allowed the finish to dry over a couple days and then buffed them with my Beall Buffing system (once a wood turner, ALWAYS a wood turner!). I'm really happy with the results and just need to sharpen a couple more of them and I'll have a complete set all ready to go.
chisels3.jpg