Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop made disk sander

Shop made disk sander

I have a VERY small shop and can't fit hardly any more floor mounted tools in it. I did buy the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander a while back but that still left me without a disk sander.

Someone had posted the idea of using your lathe as a disk sander. I took that idea and made a disk sander for my small shop. My lathe is a 12" so I was limited to a 12" sanding disk. I bought some 12" disk sandpaper on eBay and used scrap wood that I had around the shop.

The negative is that when I want to use the disk sander, I have to set it up, and when I want to use the lathe for something else, I have to tear it down. But in my small, one man shop, I can do that.

The rest is best described by the pictures.

The first picture shows the sander set up on the lathe. The disk is made from some composite board. The surface is a piece of scrap plywood.

The next picture is looking up on the underside of the work surface. I have two adjusting knobs so that I can adjust the surface square to the plane of the disk.

To hold the work surface in place, I made a disk and cut off the sides so that it would fit between the way. Then it is turned 90* and the locking lever is used to tighten it. See the next three pixs.

I made two sanding disks so I could have one set up as coarse sandpaper and one with a bit finer sandpaper.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disk-sander-1.jpg   Disk-sander-3.jpg   Disk-sander-4.jpg   Disk-sander-5.jpg   Disk-sander-6.jpg  

Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Looks to be very sturdy and well made.

What a great Idea. I've got a stationary belt sander with a smallish disk sander, but I've never really used them.

I imagine something larger like that could be quite useful!

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks for the great idea, Mike.

Where did you get the locking lever from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Thanks for the great idea, Mike.

Where did you get the locking lever from?
    I found it at Woodcraft. I think it was about $4.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

One more posting to give some construction details. I used a 3" faceplate to attach the wood disk. I would have used 3/4" MDF but I didn't have any in the shop.

Once I had turned the disks round, I took a cut across the front of the disk to true up the face. Then I used sandpaper glued to a piece of MDF - make it as long as your sandpaper - to sand the face of the disk, which makes sure there weren't any ripples in the face, and that the face was flat across.

Then I put shellac on the face so the psa glue would adhere better. If you try to glue to the bare wood, they'll be some sawdust on it no matter what you do and it will keep the psa from holding well.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disk-sander-2.jpg  
    Ancora imparo

Your locking mechanism is slicker than...well...really slick stuff.

I really like the way it came out and will file it in the Bright Ideas drawer. I have a seriously underpowered Sears 6" disk/4" belt sander that's about worthless. A big disk would be handy sometimes, and I'm betting the variable speed on the lathe would be very useful.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Mike I've thought about doing this before...now I have something to try and copy.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I am having trouble finding the locking lever on Woodcraft's web site or anywhere else. Is it referred to by some other name?

Mohammad,

Here's a link:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...oductID=145630

Called a cam action hold down...I think
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website