Virus 2008 warning

Frank Fusco

I heard Kim Komando's show this morning and was impressed with her concern over this mal-ware advertising. Click on it and it just will not go away.
I sent the following e-mail to friends:

One of the best pieces of computer advice, ever.
Read Kim's complete article about Virus 2008.
In short, if you see 'Virus 2008' pop up anywhere, anytime DO NOT CLICK ON IT.
Removing the mal-ware it puts into your computer could require expert assistance. It grows and morphs every time you try to do anything with it, especially remove it.

DO NOT CLICK ON Virus 2008

Read the column: http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=5245&page=1

Um guys, there's nothing in Kim's article about a virus. :rolleyes: She's talking about clicking on misleading ads when using Google or other search engines. Doesn't matter if you're on a Mac or a PC or a VAXstation. There's also nothing about pop-ups, nothing about not clicking on them, and other than the fact that she was searching for the free version of AVG Anti-Virus, this article has nothing even related to "Virus 2008".

I hate to say it, but this is how Internet rumors get started. ;)

She may have been talking about something different on her show, but this article doesn't describe the situation you're talking about.

no worries for me, I run nothing but Macs...

Yep, time to get a Mac :wave:

wow, it just keeps getting worse and worse.

you know computers are like air conditioning
They just don't work when you open windows
Did any of you guys even read the article? It has nothing to do with viruses, and nothing to do with Mac or Linux vs. PC.

Misinformation combined with zealotry is a bad combination. :rolleyes: It's best to at least get your facts straight before climbing up on the soapbox. :soapbox:

Frank brought up virus 2008, oh though I think he meant Antivirus 2008 which is really nasty for windows users

IF you think you have it heres the WIKI for removing it

http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/Parasite/Antivirus2008

Not my fault he linked to the wrong article, oh though I can't even find a reference to it on Kim's sight.

I do find it funny that when I do get the occasional pop up that its one telling my Linux powered pc is infected with a windows virus. :D

Did any of you guys even read the article? It has nothing to do with viruses, and nothing to do with Mac or Linux vs. PC.

Misinformation combined with zealotry is a bad combination. :rolleyes: It's best to at least get your facts straight before climbing up on the soapbox. :soapbox:

Vaughn,

You work in this field, so you must you know the Three Noble Truths about computing:

1. Information wants to be free, but data wants to be used.
2. Cheap, fast, good: pick two.
3. Rationality and computing do not mix!

Here's a typical conversation in my office:

Brilliant young man (or woman) walks in.

BYM: I just realized we could do "XYZ process! It would be easy, we'd save money, and look at all the extra things the departments could do!"

ODD (that stands for Old Doofus Director) : Yes, that makes perfect sense. There's only one problem...

BYM: Oh, no, don't tell me!

ODD: yes, you're living in the world of rationality again!

BYM: Geez, and I tried so hard to get past that! [bonks his head on doorframe as he goes out].

I swear to you, I have that conversation at least three times a week. And that's with people who make their living in computing! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Frank brought up virus 2008, oh though I think he meant Antivirus 2008 which is really nasty for windows users

IF you think you have it heres the WIKI for removing it

http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/Parasite/Antivirus2008

Call me suspicious, but I notice that every entry in that wiki-security site suggests using SpywareHunter to fix the problem. I call shenanigans. :rolleyes: I strongly suspect much of the malware like Antivirus 2008 is produced by the "security" software companies like SpywareHunter.

Call me suspicious, but I notice that every entry in that wiki-security site suggests using SpywareHunter to fix the problem. I call shenanigans. :rolleyes: I strongly suspect much of the malware like Antivirus 2008 is produced by the "security" software companies like SpywareHunter.

Heck, I've thought for a long time that all the Virus and other stuff coming out of Eastern Europe, Russia, etc. was probably done on contract for the Security Software Co's. After all, Somebody has to support those unemployed 'puter folks over there, 'n those Sec Sftw Co's wouldn't have anything NEW to sell if there weren't a new stream of Viruses, etc. all the time.:D

Last edited:
Well actually the whole scam they are trying (successfully) to run is telling people they have a virus, and fooling them into installing a trojan program and then paying them money to remove the non-existant virus.

You send them your credit card number - and they send you some more viruses.

It's not that Macs are inherently virus proof, it's mostly that few viruses are written for them, the OS has a FEW less holes, and maybe Mac users are a bit smarter and dont click on random links.

That whole AntiVirus2008 is a nasty bit of work and rather difficult to remove. The trojan that installs it is being changed all the time etc.

The facts might not be 100% correct, but if you see that message come up I suggest you pull the network plug and shut down, DONT CLICK ON ANYTHING.

Ian